Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Akki taking bowling tips

Follow us on Social Media

Former India fast bowler and member of the 1983 World Cup winning side, Balwinder Singh Sandhu, also a reputed coach, has helped many a fast bowler cut his teeth.

His latest ward, though not a khiladi, has been involved in many films bearing that name. The 53-year-old has been coaching Akshay Kumar to play a fast bowler in Patiala House, to be released this Diwali. “I was approached by director Nikhil Advani and as I was free, I agreed. I found it a challenge to coach an actor in the nuances of fast bowling,” Sandhu said.

Sandhu worked with Akshay at Malshej Ghat, near the Mumbai-Pune road, where the actor is shooting for Tees Maar Khan. “I have worked with many talented cricketers, but I found Akshay very ‘coachable’. I first asked him to bowl for a bit and filmed his action. After studying videos, we worked hard on changing his bowling action completely,” Sandhu informed.

Says director Advani, who directed Kal Ho Na Ho and Salam-E-Ishq, “Akshay, being a perfectionist, wanted to leave no stone unturned to look like a fast bowler. I started asking around for someone who could help out. I also spoke to some cricketers and all of them suggested just one name, BS Sandhu.”

The director also revealed that they would begin shooting in England in a month’s time and there are plans to rope in other top international cricketers. “The film has the T20 World Cup as its backdrop. It’s not about cricket, but about resolution of conflict between a father (Rishi Kapoor) and son (Akshay) and cricket plays a catalyst,” Advani stated. The cricket sequences will be shot at The Oval and Trent Bridge. Sandhu, who coached Akshay for nearly a month was impressed with the actor’s work ethics and hunger for information, enthusiasm and energy. “Despite having many problems with his back and knee, he trained rigorously and allowed me to change his action. He also had innumerable questions on different grips, match situations and so on. A pitch was prepared and nets put up on location of TMK. Whenever Akshay had a break, he got into his cricketing gear and trained,” the former India pacer said.

Sandhu’s father, Harnam Singh Naz, was a film writer and a playwright and his home in Bhandup had eminent visitors like Balraj Sahani. Now the son is only completing what the father started. Will we see Sandhu don the grease paint and face the camera when Advani screams action in the UK? “I won’t act. If I get in front of a camera, my current girth will ensure that only I’ll be seen on screen,” he signed off.

thanks dear