Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default I have found my subject: Omprakash Mehra

Follow us on Social Media

In every filmmaker’s career, there comes a time and a subject. My subject and time have come,” says director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, while talking about his most challenging story so far – Bhag Milkha Bhag, the biography of athlete Milkha Singh.

The director wants the tale to cruise all over the world. “We will dub the film in other languages and it will be part of world cinema,” says Mehra, hinting at his “most ambitious film ever”. “When you get a story like this one, it cannot remain confined to a Hindi film for India. It will break out in the world, as the fire of this athlete will spread around,” says Mehra.

With this project, which was announced in Chandigarh recently, Mehra will yet again direct a cause close to his heart, “a fight against all odds,” he says. More than being a “sports film,” for Mehra, this also translates into “an art, and science of making Milkhaji’s story.”

“It took us two years to get the script right. And it’s only now that we are ready with the final draft,” he says. Written by Prasoon Joshi, who also scripted Delhi 6 and Rang De Basanti, the film, says Mehra, “will be shot across India, in Punjab and Delhi, and also in Japan, Russia, France, Europe and UK as the life of Milkhaji leaps across continents.”

The draft is ready, but the casting will take more time. “Industry main pehle cast decide hoti hai, phir script. But this film has given us the courage to start from the end. While our script is final, the cast is not. Aisa tab hota hai jab script hee hero hoti hai,” he says. But does he have any preferences? “That is upto my casting director. She has been apprised that the script is ready and that within 45 days she can look for the cast,” he replies.