Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Vidya: Why donít we celebrate Menís Day too?

Follow us on Social Media

She hopped out of her car in the busy lane leading from our office to her college and familiarly threaded her way to the Times of India building in the peak morning office-hour rush.

I watched her come, our guest editor for the Womenís Day issue, rather severely dressed in a black salwar-kameez to go with a ďlovely ikat dupattaĒ that she was dying to wear. If the harried office-goers recognised Filmfare Best Actress Vidya Balan, they didnít show it. She herself was unconcerned. ďIím still a little way from that stage where the world recognises me,Ē she smiled once settled down and having black coffee without sugar.

First, a straight-from-the-heart confession: ďWomenís Day doesnít mean too much to me. It shouldnít be a one-off thing over which we make a lot of hoo-ha. As women, if we donít celebrate our womanhood throughout the year, whatís the point?Ē And then, an argument: ďI donít mean to sound sexist or feminist, but why donít we celebrate Menís Day too? Is it because every other day is menís day? Humanity is about mankind. But, to use a sociological term, a veiled attempt is being made here at the perpetuation of patriarchy!Ē

Then ó her take on women, she was proud that Indian women had come a long way since Independence and were making their mark even in professions unknown to them earlier. She used films as her talking point. ďActresses are getting better roles,Ē explained Vidya, ďno more just apologies for the lead. Earlier, we were being led! Iím not saying jhanda uthao. But stories are about people, thatís man and woman, not just man. Actresses went through a phase when we had nothing much to do. Today, we are individuals in our own right and no longer just a love interest or mother in the film. But thereís a long way to go before we reach a stage where women are equal in terms of opportunity, fulfillment and acknowledgement.Ē

And so on and so forth it went, with the gorgeous actress discussing BT, from the front page and Page 3 to fashion, cricket, health, relationships, travel, Bollywood and Hollywood... You will find bits and snippets inside these pages, all under the heading of Vidyaís Views, some subjects she was aggressively passionate about, some she dismissed without so much as a by-your-leave. The IPL was just around the corner, but with cricket, Vidya has no connect. Preity and Shilpa, the field is yours! The Lakme Fashion Week was on, but Vidya believed people are becoming an extension of what they wear ó instead of it being the other way around. ďSexy is not about what you wear ó itís about how you feel,Ē she stressed. ďAnd today, women have the choice of exercising our sexuality... even at work. I believe at work it should be about merit, but I also think itís very cool if women flutter their eyelashes. Understand? You donít! Go see Ishqiya!Ē