dR Contributor

Default Heer Ranjha (1970) Xvid 2cd - Indian Cinema - The Golden Years-Classic Love Story DDR

Follow us on Social Media

Heer Ranjha (1970) Xvid 2cd - Indian Cinema - The Golden Years-Classic Love Story DDR

Raaj Kumar.........Ranjha
    Priya Rajvansh.....Heer
    Pran...................Chhote Choudhury
    Prithviraj Kapoor..The King
    Nana Palsikar......Diwan, the King's Inquisitor
    Achala Sachdev
    Jagdish Raj
    Sonia Sahni
    Indrani Mukherjee
    Kamini Kaushal
    Tun Tun
    D.K. Sapru
    Niranjan Sharma

English Subtitles = Yes
    Directed by Chetan Anand
    Music by Madan Mohan
    Lyrics by Kaifi Azmi

SYNOPSIS:- Heer Ranjha (1970)
    "Friends you must have heard about a war in a place
    Where the river Chenab flows since time immortal
    There cruel people broke two hearts in such a way
    That even today Punjab cries in their memory
    I've brought the pain from the heart of Punjab
    I've bought a few pieces of lovable hearts
    How have I displayed this pain, this love, only my heart knows
    How I made this tale, only my heart knows
    How I've displayed this sorrow, only my heart knows
    How much I've cried in pain, only my heart knows
    This fire is not mine
    The fire is not mine, but the smoke is mine
    It's the story of Heer Ranjha, but the presentation is mine"

'Let us tell a tale of Takht Hazara
    That fabled place where Ranjhas held away
    and where handsome youths wanton and gay
    each more striking than the other
    dreamt eternally of sport and love

The story begins with Chetan Anand reciting this poem. Heer Ranjha is the most famous true love story of two Muslim lovers Heer Saleti and Dido Ranjha whose families were enemies and were against their love.

Heer (Priya Rajwansh) is an extremely beautiful girl from a wealthy family. Ranjha (Raaj Kumar) is the youngest of four brothers and the pet of his bhabhis. Once after being teased by one of his bhabis, Ranjha leaves home and travels around. He comes to Heer's village and attends a friends wedding where he sees Heer for the first time. Heer arranges a job for Ranjha to take care of their cattle.

Heer is mesmerized by the way Ranjha plays the flute and eventually she falls in love with him. They meet each other secretely until they are discovered by her jealous uncle Kaido (Pran). Kaido is Heer's father brother and he is a lame in legs and is teased by the whole village. Kaido is unmarried and spiteful enough to wish bad for all his brother's children. He complains to Heer's father Chuebak (Jayant). Heer is then forced to marry another man with permission from the Mullah Kazi (Jeewan) who has been bribed by Kaido.

Broken hearted Ranjha leaves the village and travels aimlessly until he meets a Jogi at Goraks Tilla holy shrine. Ranjha sees only his departed lover and here he volountarily becomes a Jogi. Chanting the name of Lord Allakh Niranjan, he travels around singing the song 'Yeh Duniya Mehfil'. Soon he arrives at a village where he meets Heer and both Heer and Ranjha flee from the village with help from Heer's sister-in-law. However, they are caught by the Maharaja's police guard. The Maharaja (PrithviRaj Kapoor) punishes Ranjha and puts him in jail, but the same night the entire city goes up in flames, Believing this to be a sign for their true love, the Maharaja frees Ranjha from jail and gives permission for Ranjha to Marry Heer.

The two lovers return to Heer's home village where her parent finally agree to their marriage. Did they marry? Watch the movie.

Heer Ranjha is one of the four popular tragic romances of the Punjab. The other three are Mirza Sahiba, Sassi Punnun and Sohni Mahiwal. There are several poetic narrations of the story, the most famous being 'Heer' by Waris Shah written in 1766. It tells the story of the love of Heer and her lover Ranjha. Well-known poetic narrations have also been written by Damodar Das Arora, Mukbaz and Ahmed Gujjar, among others.

Heer is an extremely beautiful woman, born into a wealthy Jatt family of the Sayyal clan in Jhang, Punjab (Pakistan)). Ranjha (whose first name is Dheedo; Ranjha is the surname), also a Jatt of the Ranjha clan, is the youngest of four brothers and lives in the village 'Takht Hazara' by the river Chenab. Being his father's favorite son, unlike his brothers who had to toil in the lands, he led a life of ease playing the flute ('Wanjhli'/'Bansuri'). After a quarrel with his brothers over land, Ranjha leaves home. In Waris Shah's version of the epic, it is said that Ranjha left his home because his brothers' wives refused to give him food. Eventually he arrives in Heer's village and falls in love with her. Heer offers Ranjha a job as caretaker of her father's cattle. She becomes mesmerised by the way Ranjha plays his flute and eventually falls in love with him. They meet each other secretly for many years until they are caught by Heer's jealous uncle, Kaido, and her parents Chuchak and Malki. Heer is forced by her family and the local priest or 'mullah' to marry another man called Saida Khera.

Ranjha is heartbroken. He wanders the countrtyside alone, until eventually he meets a 'jogi' (ascetic). After meeting Baba Gorakhnath, the founder of the "Kanphata"(pierced ear) sect of jogis, at 'Tilla Jogian' (the 'Hill of Ascetics', located 50 miles north of the historic town of Bhera, Sargodha District, Punjab (Pakistan)), Ranjha becomes a jogi himself, piercing his ears and renouncing the material world. Reciting the name of the Lord, "Alakh Niranjan", he wanders all over the Punjab, eventually finding the village where Heer now lives.

The two return to Heer's village, where Heer's parents agree to their marriage. However, on the wedding day, Heer's jealous uncle Kaido poisons her food so that the wedding will not take place. Hearing this news, Ranjha rushes to aid Heer, but he is too late, as she has already eaten the poison and died. Brokenhearted once again, Ranjha takes the poisoned Laddu which Heer has eaten and dies by her side.

Heer and Ranjha are buried in Heer's hometown, Jhang. Lovers and others often pay visits to their mausoleum.

The epic poem has been made into several feature films. Bollywood versions include Heer Ranjha (1928) starring Zubeida, Heer Ranjha (1929), Heer Ranjha (1931), Heer Ranjha (1948), Heer Raanjha (1970) directed by Chetan Anand and starring Raaj Kumar and Priya Rajvansh, and Heer Ranjha (1992) And Heer Ranjha (2009) Punjabi. Pakistani versions include Heer Raanjha (1970) directed by Masood Pervaiz and starring Firdous and Ejaz Durrani, Heer starring Sowarn Lata and Inayat Hussain Bhatti, and Heer Sial starring Sudhir and Bahar.

MOVIE REVIEW:- Heer Ranjha (1970)
    Heer Raanjha was the romantic epic written by famous poet of Punjab Varis Shah. Chetan Anand did experiment in hindi cinema and made Heer Raanjha in verse form. Chetan Anand caught the poetry residing in the voice of Raaj Kumar. Here he plays a care free villager, who is a poet by heart and who has shelter of 8 elder brothers and 8 bhabhiyan on his head. He is like Krishna, playing his flute and teasing the girls gathered at the well to fetch water.

Its story of two villages situated on two opposite banks of river Chenab and Raanjha's family is head of one Village and Heer's family is head of other village but both villages are old enemies. Carefree Raanjha ignores advises of his elder brothers and goes to village of Heer to join a marriage ceremony of one of his friend and there during song and dance custom, Heer Raanjha see each other and become victims of phenomenon of 'love at first sight'.

Their love, vows to live or die together, pranks, separation, re-union etc are picturised beautifully. It's a dramatic film and does not give any illusion that there should be any reality touch in the acting. There is no scope for natural acting here. As far as synchronization with the characteristics of the character is concerned Pran steals the show. He has played the cunning uncle of Heer and his one leg is defective. He is the best actor in the film. He has truly lived the shades of the character given to him. His heart is filled with anger and frustrations towards whole world because of his physical handicapped body because people tease and riducule his handiccaped situation. He is called by a nickname of 'Langda' by all the people including his elder brother, the father of Heer. He is filled with revenge and does not wish to see anyone happy in his surrounding. His philosophy is very simple,? Since world has given me nothing so I will destroy everything beautiful around me'. He knows only conspiracies, revenge, ill feelings etc. He is a complete devil. It's a treat to watch his body language and mannerisms in this role. He gives enough glimpses here about how great actor he is. In one scene girl friends of Heer try to make him fool though they want to take revenge from him as he arranges separation between Heer and Raanjha. Girls are dancing around Pran and alluring him and he is also dancing. Girls start pushing and pulling him and he falls down and his evil mind quickly thinks that he has been trapped but soon his attraction toward girls over power this thought as they smile towards him and he again tries to get up and dance. Pran changes his facial expression so fast that it amazes the audience.

Raaj Kumar justifies the role given to him. He had a well toned body and it helps him in playing a villager. Punjabi male dress lungi Kurta befits him very well. He had one of the most attractive walking style among male actors in hindi cinema, rather he had style in everything. In this film he is shown with so much fun that its difficult to believe that this is the same great Raaj Kumar about whose strict behaviour countless stories have been flowing in the air. Audience never saw Raaj Kumar in such funful role again in any other film. Here he does everything, dancing, jumping with ecstasy, making faces, playing tricks with girls and his bhabhiyan.

Chetan Anand has used beautifully Raajkumar?s baritone voice for the purpose of saying dialogues in verse form. It is interesting to see the scene when Heer is playing hide and seek with her friends and by mistake she catches Raanjha who is sitting under a tree. When a girl friend of Heer asks him his name he says 'Raaaaaaaaaanjha mera naam hai' He drags sound of 'Raa' too long and it appears quite sweet in ears. Same girl asks Raanjha what he wishes to say to Heer and he says a long poetry which is wonderful to listen.

If one is fan of Raaj Kumar then this film is a treat. You will get enough of Raaj Kumar in different shades. If one has not seen the film then can imagine the poetic dialogues in Raaj Kumar's deep voice.

It was good to see father of Amjad Khan, Jayant playing the role of father of Heer and he delivers well. Prithviraj Kapoor, Ajit, Jeevan, A.K.Hangal, Ullhas, Tun Tun, Indrani Mukherjee, Sonia Sahni, Kamini Kaushal, Achala Sachdev, Shaukat Azami, Tabbasum etc all actors do justice to their small roles. Nana Palsikar impressed a lot in his 5 minutes long role. He plays Deewan in the court of king. His performance provokes to think why noone thought to make a film by casting him in the role of Tenaliram, the famous intelligent minister of Raja Krishna Dev Ray of Vijay Nagar or Beerbal, the minister of Akbar. He could have perfected these two roles.

.. K i n g o f M o v i e   ..   P r a u d l e y p r e g a n t s ...
    Video Codec: XviD ISO MPEG-4
    Video Bitrate: 988 kbps
    Video Resolution: 640x480
    Video Aspect Ratio: 1.333:1
    Frames Per Second: 29.970
    Audio Codec: 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3
    Audio Bitrate: 448kb/s CBR 48000 Hz
    Audio Streams: 6
    Audio Languages: Hindi
    RunTime: 2:19:42
    Ripped by:Trinidad DDR
    Duration: 2:18:42