Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Konkona: I live in my pyjamas

Follow us on Social Media

She is not what you would call typical Hindi film heroine material, yet somehow, she manages to charm all and sundry with her gorgeously dimpled smile and powerhouse talent.

What also makes her stand apart in a crowd is her refusal to comply with the commercial format. Just not her cuppa tea, she says.

With an illustrious film background thanks to mom Aparna Sen, Konkona says that films happened merely by chance. “I have acted in a film called Indira as a child, but my foray into film land came with Ek Je Aachhe Kanya. However, it was my role as Meenakshi Iyer in Mr. & Mrs. Iyer that made people sit up and take notice,” says the actress.

Konkona will be in the city shortly as a part of an ensemble cast for a play titled The Blue Mug. This has the actress excited because she sees it as her return to the stage after a brief hiatus. “When Atul Kumar offered me a role in the play, I was excited on so many levels. I used to do a lot of theatre in school and college. But after I started acting in films, theatre just took a backseat. I have a great relationship with the rest of the cast and working with them has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience.”

For Konkona, awards are now commonplace. But despite two National Awards, and a plethora of other trophies, the actress says that she takes the whole thing with a pinch of salt. “I’m not saying that awards are not important. It’s always nice to get recognised for all the hard work, but then again, who is to say what is good or bad? To think that a jury of 10-12 people on a panel can make that decision makes me a bit wary.”

Talk veers from awards to awardees, and naturally, mom Aparna Sen’s name comes up. So, does Konkona get career advice from her mom about what films to choose and who to act with? “Absolutely not,” she says. “Firstly, I don’t think anybody can sit me down and tell me what to do and what not to. I follow my gut instinct most of the time. Ma knows this more than anybody else and honestly, she is not very actively involved in my professional life. We live in different cities, so when we talk it’s mostly about what’s happening with each other’s life.”

Konkona currently has her hands full with quite a few projects, Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge being foremost on the list. “I absolutely loved working on the film because it is a light-hearted drama. It’s about how in big cities, space is a constraint and so when you have annoying guests visiting, there are a lot of issues that crop up. Apart from this, I also have Right Yaa Wrong, Mirch, Sunglass and Iti Mrinalini in the pipeline.”

Quick Takes
    Passion for food
    I absolutely love biryani, Indian khana and south-Indian non-vegetarian food.

Designer labels
    I live in my pyjamas and wear them everywhere. I’m not brand conscious, but if something does catch my fancy, I pick it up.

My poison
    I’m a vodka drinker. So vodka ****tails or vodka mixed with juice is my preferred drink.