Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Ash, Priyanka: Who's next?

Follow us on Social Media

When two of India’s most prolific filmmakers offer you a role in their films on a platter, what do you do? Jump at it, right?

Well, Vipul Amrutlal Shah, who’s given hit films like Singh is Kingg and Namastey London and National Award winner Madhur Bhandarkar are doing just that by associating themselves with Pantaloons Femina Miss India 2010. The directors will identify, mentor and launch two Miss India finale contestants in their respective and upcoming films. Now if that doesn’t motivate the girls, what will!

But if you thought only the beauty pageant’s contestants would be excited, think again. Even the directors are geared up to find the face they would like to be the next sensation. Vipul believes that this initiative is like a reward for the girls for the efforts they are going to put in. “Most of them take part in this pageant so that they can become part of Hindi cinema. So this makes it a clear cut process for us as well as for them,” he says. Agrees Madhur, “I have been on the panel of this pageant thrice and I think it’s great that we can now pick and choose the girls according to the characters we have in mind.”
    Working with former Miss Indias has given the directors an idea of what to expect when they work with these newcomers. Vipul, who is currently shooting with the gorgeous Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in Action Replayy, believes that Ash is the epitome of what this contest has to offer. “She’s made a name for herself nationally as well as internationally and is a great role model for Miss India hopefuls,” he says. Working with ex-Miss World Priyanka Chopra, who shone in Madhur’s critically acclaimed Fashion, was a pleasure for the director. “She is a very talented actress who not only won popular awards but even the National Award for her role,” he adds.
    As for what they have in mind when it comes to choosing the right girl for their films, both directors have different takes. While Madhur, who’s films are being recognised and shown worldwide, says he would be looking for the character in each of the girls, Vipul says that she will have to be the full package of looks, ability to perform and to connect with the audience. “I would leave it to my instinct. I hope I find somebody who rings my bell!” he smiles. We’re sure the PFMI contestants wouldn’t mind doing that!