YouR De$i RaPPeR www.desirulez.net

Default Preity Zinta espouses cause of widows, cites Sonia Gandhi

Follow us on Social Media

[DOWN]

Citing the example of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Bollywood actress Preity Zinta Wednesday pledged to work for the welfare of widows and said they could achieve a lot if given an opportunity.

Preity, 34, became the brand ambassador of Loomba Trust that supports widows and their children around the world.

"Sonia Gandhi is a perfect example. If a woman is not stolen off her opportunities, even if she is a widow, she can do great things and achieve a lot. This is more than enough reason to say that a woman can stand shoulder to shoulder with any man anywhere in the world," Preity said at a press conference here.

"I have always held women's causes in India very close to my heart. I have always felt that women get a raw deal. This cause was a little more close to my heart because I lost my father when I was very young," said Preity, who lost her father at the age of 13.

"I was lucky to come from a family that was financially stable but I did grow up realising that it was definitely more difficult for a woman. I can identify with this problem very closely," the actress told reporters.

Preity also revealed that a documentary by filmmaker Deepa Mehta's brother influenced her and she realised it was important to work for the welfare of widows.

"Deepa Mehta's brother made a documentary called 'The Forgotten Woman'. It's a documentary on widows and what really happens to them. That was the first time I looked at this besides something I had grown up with and that stayed with me," she said.

"So when I was asked to be a part of this Trust I thought that god has given me more than I can ever imagine and if I can give back, it will make a difference and in whatever way we can to raise awareness we will," she added.

[/DOWN]

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\

Coolbie www.desirulez.net

thanks

Kal Ho Na Ho www.desirulez.net