Hot Member

Question Arsene Wenger Will Use Next 18 Months To Decide his Arsenal Future

Follow us on Social Media

Cast your mind back to 1996. A time when Liverpool turned out in shocking white suits before losing an FA Cup final to Manchester United.

A time when Newcastle United came second in the Premier League, finishing just four points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's Reds.

And a time when Nottingham Forest were the last English side remaining in European competition, as they made it to the Uefa Cup quarter finals.

The year also marked the arrival of Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

And, just as you could not imagine those three previous scenarios in our current footballing climate, a life at the Emirates without the Frenchman as manager is not one that Gunners fans can bear to consider.

However, with 18 months left on his current contract, Wenger admits he is weighing up his next step.

Now aged 60, does he take the opportunity to end on a high? To reflect on a legacy that has seen Arsenal collect three league titles, reach a European Cup final and help move the club into a remarkable new stadium.

Or does he attempt to follow the lead of Ferguson? The Scot, at the grand old age of 68, is showing no signs that he will leave his beloved team.

Arsenal have not won any silverware since 2005, and while Wenger attempts to ensure that statistic soon comes to an end, he will use the next year and a half to weigh up whether he can take the club any further.

Wenger said: "I am giving myself a bit of time to think. What is important is that the club is in good hands, whether they are mine or someone else's. Whether I personally leave on a positive or negative note is a little bit less important."

Gunners' chief executive Ivan Gazidis will probably seek to open talks with Wenger over a new contract in a year's time.

He, as much as any supporter, is eager that Wenger agrees to prolong his stay in North London after accumulating seven trophies in 16 years at the helm.

Gazidis said: "There's a huge amount of ambition left in Arsene and a huge amount of vision and legacy that has yet to be achieved.

"I'm hesitant to talk about a time after Arsene because he's in great health, and I hope he will keep going longer than Sir Alex Ferguson."

It is a hope that may yet be fulfilled if the current crop of youngsters continue to progress and begin to collect silverware.

Then, walking away from Arsenal would surely be a step too far for Wenger..

Don't Forget to say Thanks

I am Brown so ARe you DOwN?

YAH showing up very well they beat lpook
    sorry dude .... Hash

Landed To DesiRulez
    London, England

well played well last night 5-0 to porto