Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Flavia Pennetta Advances In To Finals Of Auckland Classic

Follow us on Social Media

Flavia Pennetta of Italy ousted Francesca Schiavone to advance into the finals of Auckland Classic. The Italian thumped her doubles partner in staright sets by 6-3, 6-0 in a encounter of just under an hour.

Pennetta next plays Yanina Wickmayer in the finals on Saturday. The Belgian Wickmayer had overpowered Shahar Peer of Israel by 6-4, 7-5 in the other semi-final clash at the Auckland Tennis Centre. The 12 ranked Pennetta crushed Schiavone with a powerful service game .She broke her compatriot's serve five times.

A wild card entrant Wickmayer had made into the tournament after a court last month overturned a one-year ban imposed on her for violating the Belgian doping authority's "whereabouts rule.

The 20-year-old Wickmayer after the match said,"I didn't play my best tennis. I made a lot of mistakes especially in the beginning of the second set. It was 0-3, it was only one break, but she was really playing better and she had stepped up a level so I knew I had to play a lot better to come back.

"I just kept fighting and playing well every point and while I was making mistakes the points were getting closer so I am really happy with the comeback."