YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Salaam Broadway for Mira Nair

Follow us on Social Media

India's colourful Punjabi wedding saga 'Monsoon Wedding' is all set to enthrall audiences on Broadway.

''We are adapting the movie to a musical for Broadway. It will be staged soon,'' Monsoon Wedding director Mira Nair shared.

She was interacting with the media on the sidelines of screening of her critically acclaimed film 'The Namesake' at the Pravasi Film Festival here yesterday.

''We have not decided the casting yet. We are in process of putting together the songs for it,'' she added.

The movie won the Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival in 2001.

When asked if she would ever make a full fledged Hindi movie for Indian audiences, Nair replied, ''I think and dream in Hindi. I will certainly make a Hindi movie in two or three years.'' ''In fact, the Broadway adaptation of Monsoon Wedding, like the movie, is in both English and Hindi,'' she said.

Stressing that a good film would appeal to everyone, she opined, ''The idea of making a film made completely for the West is wrong-headed.'' Even as the controversy surrounding '3 Idiots' has drawn to a close, Nair believed adapting a book for a film was a challenging task and the director's eye was important.

''The Namesake is penned by Jhumpa Lahiri but had influences from my life. Authors do look to filmmakers to make their own statements as the sensibility of a director is important,'' she said.

''In fact, my next project is based on Mohsin Hamid's book The Reluctant Fundamentalist,'' she added.

Quizzed about the trend of Bollywood films being shot abroad, the filmmaker replied, ''Directors do have a fascination to show the Swiss Alps but things in the ministries in India are less bureaucratic now. So, India has become more welcoming.'' Nair's film 'Amelia' (based on the life of flyer Amelia Earheart) starring Academy Award winner Hilary Swank will hit the Indian silverscreens in March this year.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia