YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default I'd love to work with Amitabh, Shahrukh: Deepa Mehta

Follow us on Social Media

After having worked with Aamir Khan in '1942: earth', John Abraham in 'Water' and Preity Zinta in 'Heaven on Earth', noted NRI filmmaker Deepa Mehta said she now want to work with Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan and the debonair Saif Ali Khan.

''I would love to work with Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan. They are all incredible actors,'' Mehta told reporters here on the sidelines of the Pravasi Film Festival being organised at the India Habitat Centre.

The Canada-based Indian filmmaker, who was here in connection with the screening of her film 'Earth' at the Pravasi film festival, said she had the fortune of working with stars like Aamir Khan, John Abraham and Preity Zinta.

''I loved working with Preity, John and Aamir, all of whom are brilliant actors,'' she said.

On reports that she was planning a film with the charming Rani Mukherjee and Bollywood heartthrob Salman Khan, the filmmaker, whose directorial venture 'Water' won a nomination in the Best Foreign Film category at the Oscars a couple of years ago, said, ''I have met Rani and Salman. We have discussed a few ideas.

However, nothing has been finalised as yet.'' Lauding the holding of the Pravasi film festival, Mehta said, ''such film festivals are welcome as they help to provide a platform for many a talented filmmaker from the Indian diaspora.'' In reply to a question, Mehta said she looked forward to begin work on 'Komagata Maru', the film based on the Japanese ship hired by Malaysia-based wealthy Sikh Gurdit Singh to take 376 Indians from Hong Kong to Canada in 1914 to challenge its racist laws.

The Indians were not allowed to disembark in Vancouver and forcibly sent back to India where many were shot on arrival in Calcutta, as it was then called.

The film will recount the journey of Indians who wanted a better life in Canada, but were denied entry by the racist government of that time.

''We will be making 'Komagata Maaru' in 2013 with Akshay Kumar in the lead. Since the incident has its 100th anniversary in 2014, the financiers felt it appropriate to release the film in the same year,'' Mehta said.

To be produced jointly by Hamilton-Mehta Productions Inc in association with Akshay's home production Hariom Entertainment, Komagata Maaru would be filmed in Canada and around the world.

Mongrel Media will distribute it in Canada.

Mehta said a major part of the finance for the film came from the Canadian government.

Asked for the reason for her choosing to make films on 'dark' subjects, the filmmaker said,'' it is not right to say that I make films only on dark subjects. I have also made a light entertainer like 'Bollywood Hollywood'.

Actually, I do not like the idea of making a film on subjects which I know much about. Rather, I want to make films about subjects that I have not treaded. That way, I ensure that through the making of the film, I also grow as a filmmaker.''

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia