YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Ponting's batting decision faces wrath of former Test greats

Follow us on Social Media

Ricky Ponting's contentious decision to bat first at the seamer-friendly SCG has baffled several Test greats as the former Australian cricketers believe that the skipper made a wrong judgement.

Australia yesterday fell cheaply for just 127 all out after Pakistan rode on former Indian Cricket League (ICL) recruit Mohammad Asif's career best figures of 6/41 to take a firm grip on the opening day of the second Test here.

Former Australian cricketers - opening batsman Michael Slater and fast bowler Geoff Lawson - criticised Ponting's decision of not going with the ball first and said the captain got it wrong by electing to bat in conditions that clearly favoured the bowler.

''The question will be 'Did Ricky do the right thing?' In hindsight I think he made an error of judgment,'' Slater told mediapersons here.

Lawson backed Slater's comments, saying,''bowling was the best option.'' Meanwhile Ponting, who is still carrying the elbow injury he suffered in Perth last month, was disappointed over the poor show of the Australian batsmen including himself.

The Australian captain has not elected to bowl since his fateful decision to send England in at Edgbaston in 2005.

In fact, he has done so only twice in his captaincy, for a nine-wicket win in Wellington earlier that year and the Ashes loss in Birmingham.

''It is always my preference to bat and the guys inside (the dressing-room) are happy with that decision.

''The bowlers will be disappointed I won the toss and batted, they would have liked to have got out here and had a crack on this sort of wicket. It's not often these days you get to bowl in these sort of conditions. But hopefully the batting group can do the right thing,'' the 34-year-old Poning said after winning the toss.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\