YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Perform or perish: SL coach to Jayasuriya

Follow us on Social Media

Sanath Jaysuriya's prospects of going on until the 2011 World Cup are in serious doubts and the only way to keep his place in the side would be to perform as a spinning all-rounder, claims Sri Lankan coach Trevor Bayliss.

Upul Tharang's emergence at the top of the Sri Lankan batting has made it difficult for Jayasuriya to keep his place as a regular opener and was axed from the team for the tri-nation ODI series in Bangladesh.

''As Jayasuriya has himself said on record, he is a spinning all-rounder now,'' Bayliss said.

''If he keeps performing and putting pressure on others, he can always get in. It's up to him and what pressure he can put on the others in the team,'' Bayliss told Cricinfo.

Jayasuriya had earlier said the team management should send him a clear message about his future in the team so that he can take a call on his cricketing future.

''The biggest challenge is to play the 2011 World Cup. Obviously if the team management wants to send me a message they should be clear about that to me, as they have been in the past.

''I am only thinking of five ODIs at a time, and if I can perform in three out those five, I'm right on track for the next World Cup,'' the hard-hitting left-hander had said.

But Sri Lanka is unlikely to fiddle with their new-found opening pair of Tharanga and Tillakaratne Dilshan who have done really well in the recent past while Jayasuriya has struggled with the bat.

''Tharanga has played really well in the last series against India,'' Bayliss said adding, ''His and Dilshan's opening partnership looks good for the World Cup.'' Although Mahela Jayawerdene too hasn't been performing well of late, Bayliss said it was hardly a concern for the team but more to the former captain himslef.

''It's a concern to Mahela and he himself would acknowledge that he has not been scoring much runs in ODIs,'' Bayliss said.

''But he is too good a player to miss out for long. Our top three have been doing well and so perhaps there has not been enough chances for Mahela to score. But, he is not here in this series because of an injury he picked up in India; he might make an appearance some time later on the tour.''

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\