YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Did lot of work on transitional game: Somdev

Follow us on Social Media

Some off-season work on his "transitional game", besides overall fitness, proved to be key factors in his resounding 7-5, 6-2 win against German veteran Rainer Schuettler, said Somdev Devvarman after he moved into the second round of the USD 400,000 ATP Aircel Chennai Open tennis tournament, here Tuesday night.

Reflecting on his success Tuesday night against the 33-year-old Schuettler, a former World No.6, Devvarman said his "new style" of play with more trips to the net than before, was a result of his off-season training.

"We did a lot of work on the transitional game during the off-season and that is one reason why you guys saw me coming to the net much more than before. But then, I also focused on various other aspects of my game," said the 24-year-old Devvarman.

He felt that the turning point in the match came when he trailed 3-5 in the first set. "I had missed a few balls that I shouldn't have early in the set. But after I broke him in the ninth, I settled down and played some good points from there on," he said.

Devvarman felt that he did not serve as well as he would have liked to. "But I have been working on my serve and it is a constant process."

He admitted that his Davis Cup exploits last year against South Africa in the play-off tie had a huge impact on his game. He won a five-setter against Rik de Voest after being down 0-2 in the first reverse singles that won the rubber for India.

"Obviously, that was one of the best matches I have played. That I played a five-setter gave me the confidence that I could rely on my fitness," he said.

Looking ahead to his second round match against fourth seeded Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia tomorrow, Devvarman said: "Janko is an attacking player and so I have got to be on top of my game. I also got to pick my spots. The key factor would be to serve away from him and move him around."

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\