YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Clijsters comeback gathers pace over Molik

Follow us on Social Media

Kim Clijsters continued unhindered in her storming comeback to tennis as she hammered good friend Alicia Molik 6-0, 6-3 for a quarter-final place at the Brisbane International Tuesday.

It took just an hour for Belgium's surprise 2009 US Open winner to go through at the expense of the Australian, a former number eight who is making a comeback to the sport - albeit in a lower mode than Clijsters.

Molik, 198th, had been looking for a first victory at the WTA level in two years.

But Molik had no answer for the power of the petite Belgian mother of one, a one-time doubles partner of the 28-year-old Australian. Clijsters lifted the first eight games of the one-way contest to set her winning tone.

Two of three men's seed made first-round exits, with number four Czech Tomas Berdych the only early survivor as he started with a defeat of Australian Nick Lindahl 6-2, 6-4.

Former US top 10 James Blake upended fifth-seeded compatriot Sam Querrey 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 as the rangy Californian played his first event since seriously cutting his arm in a Bangkok accident and risking his career in September.

Aussie qualifier Matthew Ebden did himself proud with an upset of Austrian sixth seed Jurgen Melzer 7-5, 6-1.

Local wild card Carsten Ball, an LA-based Australian and son of a former name player, moved into the second round over German Mischa Zverev 7-5, 6-1. He next faces top seed Andy Rod****.

There was no luck for junior Grand Slam champion Bernard Tomic as the Australian 17-year-old lost 6-4 6-4, to Ukrainian qualifier Oleksandr Dolgolov.

2006 Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis advanced 7-5, 7-5 in a welcome win over US player Mardy Fish.

"It wasn't my best match but I'm happy," said the smiling Cypriot whose career since his Melbourne final has been a series of injuries and disappointments.

"In the off-season I worked hard on fitness. I'm quicker, fitter and I am enjoying it."

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\