Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Wenger closes door on Vieira return to Arsenal

Follow us on Social Media

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he has no plans to bring Patrick Vieira back to the club but admitted Tuesday he would be surprised to see the French midfielder sign for Manchester City.

Although Wenger made inquiries about the 33-year-old Inter Milan player before the season, he said Tuesday he now had several young players in his position.

"I will respect Patrick forever for what he has done and what he has achieved here," Wenger said. "We have young players in his position and are not in a real need to bring players in this position."

The Arsenal manager believes Vieira is fit enough and good enough to play for several clubs in the Premier League.

"I was surprised it was Manchester City because there were more talks about other clubs, but it is a good opportunity for him," Wenger said.

"I believe he (would) still be very effective in the Premier League because he has been injury free for three or four months and that is what he needed."

With a victory over Bolton on Wednesday, Arsenal would move within a point of first-place Chelsea.