Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Kim Clijsters Storms Into Quarter Finals At Brisbane International

Follow us on Social Media

Kim Clijsters stormed into the quarter-finals at Brisbane International on Tuesday. She continued unhindered crushing Alicia Molik by 6-0, 6-3 in the pre-quarters clash.

The Belgian stunned the Australian in just an hour encounter. The 198th ranked Molik had been looking for a first victory at the WTA level in two years. But Molik had no answer for the power of the petite Belgian mother of one, a one-time doubles partner of the 28-year-old Australian. Clijsters lifted the first eight games of the one-way contest to set her winning tone.

Two of three men's seed made first-round exits, with number four Czech Tomas Berdych the only early survivor as he started with a defeat of Australian Nick Lindahl 6-2, 6-4.

Former US top 10 James Blake toppled fifth-seeded compatriot Sam Querrey by 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.Aussie qualifier Matthew Ebden had a 7-5, 6-1 straight set win over Austrian sixth seed Jurgen Melzer.

Local wild card Carsten Ball, advanced into the second round with a 7-5, 6-1 triumph over Mischa Zverev of Germany. He will next meet top seed Andy Rod****.

The 17 year-old Junior Grand Slam champion Bernard Tomic suffered 6-4 6-4 defeat at the hands of Ukrainian qualifier Oleksandr Dolgolov.

2006 Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis had a 7-5, 7-5 victory over US player Mardy Fish.The happy Cypriot said, "It wasn't my best match but I'm happy. In the off-season I worked hard on fitness. I'm quicker, fitter and I am enjoying it."