Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Pulls Out Of Capitala World Tennis Championship

Follow us on Social Media

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has pulled out from the Capitala World Tennis Championship due to injury. Spaniard David Ferrer will replace Tsonga replaced in the six-man field.

The 2008 champion Tsonga said,"I'm extremely disappointed not to be able to participate in the Capitala World Tennis Championship due to an injury.”Tsonga will now concentrate on his preparation for the Grand Slam commencing on January 18 in Melbourne.

Ferrer led Spain to a fourth Davis Cup title a month ago in Barcelona in their victory over Czech Republic. Rafael Nadal also makes up the weekend exhibition field in the Gulf along with Roger Federer, Nikolay Davydenko, Stan Wawrinka and Robin Soderling.

The 17th ranked Ferrer will open his emirate campaign on Thursday against Davydenko, winner a month ago of the ATP year-end event in London. The Spaniard said,"It's great to have the opportunity to play in Abu Dhabi and I am very much looking forward to getting the season underway.”

"Davydenko is always a tough opponent, particularly considering how well he has been playing lately, and I'm looking forward to playing him again." A Ferrer win would produce an all-Spanish semi-final against Nadal, who along with Federer receives a bye into the last four of the three-day event starting on Thursday.

Ferrer said,"Rafa and I are great friends it would be fantastic to meet him in the semi-final.” Rafa said the stadium atmosphere in Abu Dhabi last year was very exciting and he received a lot of support from the Spanish fans.

"It's something I'm looking forward to experiencing."

The second match on Thursday will see in action French Open finalist Robin Soderling of Sweden against Swiss Wawrinka.