Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Roger Federer And Serena Williams Named 2009 ITF World Champs

Follow us on Social Media

Roger Federer and Serena Williams have been named ITF champions of 2009.Federer earned the title for fifth time while Serena grabbed it for the second time.

The awards will be conferred during the annual ITF World Champions Dinner on June 1 in Paris, during the French Open. World number one Federer had a great year who retained his top ranking from Rafael Nadal with his win over Robin Soderling in the final at Roland Garros. He also surpassed Pete Sampras winning his 15th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon. He had a memorable final contest against Andy Rod****.

Federer was also a finalist at the Australian Open, where he lost to Nadal, and the US Open, where he went down to Juan Martin del Potro, and helped his country retain its World Group status in Davis Cup.

The 28-year-old tennis ace said,"It is an honour for me to be named ITF World Champion for a fifth time. It was an incredible year for me both on and off the court.

"To win my first Roland Garros title, break the all-time Grand Slam record and regain the No. 1 ranking is amazing. It means a lot to me to finish the year again at the top."

Serena Williams earned women's World Champion title for the first time since 2002.The 28-year-old American improved her collection to 11 majors with two Grand Slam titles, at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. The American combo of Bob and Mike Bryan were named as the men's doubles World Champions .They earned the title for the sixth time in seven years.