Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Sania Mirza To Team Up With Virginia Ruano Pascual For Australian Open

Follow us on Social Media

Indian tennis star Sania Mirza will team up with Virginia Ruano Pascual of Spain for the Australian Open commencing next month. Sania had a highly successful season this year with her doubles partners Francesca Schiavone and Chia Jung Chuang. The former doubles number one Pascual has to her credit 11 Grand Slams which includes 10 in doubles.

Sania said,"I will be playing with Virginia Ruano Pascual in the Australian Open and if we do well, we'll continue to play together.”

Sania, who had won the 2009 Australian Open mixed doubles title with her partner Mahesh Bhupathi, said that she had an extremely good season as she finished within top 100 for the five successive years.

Sania said, “For Indian tennis, it was an extremely good year. Mahesh and I won the Australian Open mixed doubles title while Leander won two Grand Slams in doubles. Yuki Bhambri won a junior Grand Slam and we also reached the World Group in Davis Cup after several years.”

"Personally, I am happy with the way things have gone for me despite some injury issues. I won my maiden Grand Slam title and finished in the top 100 for the fifth consecutive year," she added. Sania speaking about her most memorable tennis encounter said, "Beating world number 12 Marion Bartoli in Osaka in singles and winning Australian Open title in mixed doubles were memorable for me."