Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Amelie Mauresmo Announces Retirement

Follow us on Social Media

Former Wimbledon and Australian Open champion Amelie Mauresmo announced her retirement from professional tennis on Thursday. The 30-year-old Mauresmo said,"This is a decision that has been thought out. Perhaps a certain amount of indifference has become part of me."

Rumours of Mauresmo's retirement have been frequent in French media since she called halt to her 2009 season after a 6-4, 6-0 defeat at the hands of Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak in the second round of the US Open.

She said shortly after that loss, "Since my return from the US Open, I have tried to train, but I have not felt the desire to compete again.

At her retirement Mauresmo was ranked 21st in the world, after winning only one title in 2009. That victory brought the number of her career titles to 25. She had earned the number one position for a short period in 2004.

Her credits include two Grand Slam titles in 2006 and the season-ending championships in 2005. In addition, she was part of the French side that won the Fed Cup trophy in 2003.