Retired Staff
    Lonley Planet

Default Vitantonio Liuzzi Replaces Giancarlo Fisichella For Force India

Follow us on Social Media

Vitantonio Liuzzi of Italy will race for Force India for the rest of the season starting from next weekend's Italian Grand Prix in Monza.

The 28-year-old Liuzzi has been the team's test, reserve driver from the start of the 2008 season. He will replace compatriot Giancarlo Fisichella for the remaining five races.

Fisichella, who registered the first point for Force India in Belgium Grand Prix, joined Ferrari for injured Brazilian Felipe Massa.

Force India in a statement said, "After evaluating options following Giancarlo Fisichella's switch to the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro team, Vitantonio Liuzzi has been promoted to the race seat from Monza onwards.

Liuzzi had last participated in the 2007 Brazilian Grand Prix with Toro Rosso. He has contested 39 Grands Prix, and his career-best result of sixth came in the 2007 Chinese Grand Prix.

Liuzzi said,"I can't wait to get back into the car in race trim, particularly at my home Grand Prix in Monza.

"Force India now has a great car that's performing very well. I am confident I can carry on our progress. I am in good shape and hungry to get some more points on the board."

Liuzzi had made his F1 debut in 2005 at the San Marino Grand Prix with Red Bull Racing.

Force India's team principal Vijay Mallya said,"He has been waiting to drive for the past two years. Force India is now in a very competitive position and we need a driver who can continue this momentum. This will be the chance for him to demonstrate to both the team and the field that he has the commitment, speed and professionalism to perform. I am sure he will seize this opportunity."