YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default I'll take it match by match: Cilic

Follow us on Social Media

Defending champion Marin Cilic, who ended Somdev Devverman's fine run in the singles last year, feels no pressure as the second seed in the Aircel Chennai Open 2010 tennis tournament, which gets underway at the SDAT Nugambakkam Stadium here tomorrow.

Talking to newspersons here today, Cilic who will take on Russian Igor Kunitsyn in his opening match tomorrow said ''I feel great to be playing here as the defending champion and I don't feel any special pressure.'' He said he has returned to the Chennai Open well ahead of the tournament as a routine and had been practising on the courts. ''I'm getting adjusted to the heat and humidity. I am prepared for the challenge to get going'', the big serving Croat observed.

He added that he was hoping that his baseline game and strong serve would come on in the new season's first outing.

About his prospects in the tournament he said it was too far to look beyond the first match. ''Every year we have seen some upsets in the first rounds. Last year Somdev played very well. So, you have to be very careful. The first match of any season opener is surely going to be tricky'', he said.

''I hope to take it match by match'', he added.

Asked what he had to say about Somdev in Chennai Open, Cilic, who is ranked no 14 in the world and seed number 2 in this edition of the only ATP Tour event in India, said ''I have been good friends with Somdev on the tour. He has a good prospect of reaching the top 100 and going forward from there.''

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\