YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default I will have to play really well to beat Schuettler: Somdev

Follow us on Social Media

India's Somdev Devverman and Rohan Bopanna, who are facing tough first round encounters in the ATP Tour Aircel Chennai Open 2010 tennis championship beginning here tomorrow, said they would take it one match at a time.

Talking to newspersons after participating in a programme of interaction with kids today, Somdev, who is training under American coach Scott McCain and honing his skills said he was looking forward to brighter prospects on the professional tour.

''It's going to be a tough match against Rainer Schuettler and I have to really play well to advance. I've been practising on these courts for some time now and hope to gain from that experience. But practising during the day and night are so very different'', he said.

''I'll be playing a doubles match tomorrow under lights and expect that experience to be of some use when I meet Schuettler the day after in the singles draw. I haven't played too many matches together with Sanam Singh, but we have practised a lot during Davis Cup games'', he said.

Somdev had created sensation last year becoming the first Indian to figure in the singles final of the Chennai Open in 2009 before falling to eventual champion Marin Cilic of Croatia.

Meanwhile, Rohan said he felt honoured to have got the wild card from the organisers. ''Hopefully I will gain from the experience of playing in the main draw'' he said.

''I'll have to take one match at a time and not be looking at the entire week. Every opponent in a tournament is tough and I'll have to just concentrate on playing my game, irrespective of who is there on the other side of the court.'', the Karnataka star said.

He said he would be able to succeed against the tough opponent Stanislas Wawrinka with the support of the home crowd, ''It is also a great opportunity to play doubles with Mahesh (Bhupati) and learn with his experience. We have been practising together in Mumbai and expect to do well'', Rohan said about his doubles stint this time.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\