YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Schuettler 'balanced' in approach to first match against Somdev

Follow us on Social Media

German Rainer Schuettler, who is one of the crowd favourites with the likes of Carlos Moya and Croat Marin Cilice at the Chennai Open, today said he would like to opening get through the first round against Indian hope Somdev dev Verman when the ATP world tour event begins here on Jaunary 4.

'' I am feeling fit and good coming out of the off season. But the first is always difficult to pass as every player will have something to offer coming out of the break'', the 33 year old big serving Schuettler said in a brief interaction before going in for practise.

He figured in the very first edition in 1997 here and reached the quarter finals. In his six appearances on the courts of the Nungambakkam stadium here, he reached the singles final in 1999 where he lost to Byron Black. He won the doubles title in 2005 partnering Yen-Hsun Lu of Taipei. The pair beat Mahesh Bhupathi and J Bjorkman in the final.

He said he was Happy about his career so far as he had to make a choice between tennis and soccer at a young age.

On his stint in the Chennai Open over the years he said '' I have played very well here and the people treating me very nicely. I feel happy to come back to tournaments where I'm welcomed whole-heartedly.'' He answered in the affirmative when asked if his pull out from the semifinal against Somdev due to an injury rankled in his mind.

'' Yes, it is unfortunate. I was playing very well and was excited to get on court as I had won some matches. But as I have always said you can't do anything about it'', he added.

Saying that he was happy with whatever he had achieved so far, he observed that 2002, 2003 and 2008 had been ''very good years'' for him.

He said in 2010 he would be playing in the Australian Open and then go to Zagreb from February 1 to 7. ''My ain goal is to stay healthy and get up my ranking points, playing better than he did in 2009. But I'm not setting any target for achieving the ranking'', he said.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\