YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Iam looking forward to break into top 100: Somdev

Follow us on Social Media

Davis Cupper Somdev Devvarman, who created a sensation last year and is again India's best bet in the Chennai Open 2010 tennis tournament to be held here from January 4 to 10, is hoping to take off in the new season with another good show.

The 24 year-old Assam lad training in USA, is again a wild card in 2010 edition. He exuded confidence in doing well in this edition too and take off for the rest of the circuit in the new year.

Somdev's best last year was to make the main draw of the US Open singles where he beat Frederico Gil 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 in the first round. In the second round he lost to 24th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany 6-3, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2. Working out with American professional coach Scott McCain, Somdev is looking forward to breaking into the top 100 at the earliest and carrying forward from there on. ''I'm focussing on this year's event and not even thinking of what happened last year,'' Somdev said after an hour's practise session in the centre court today.

''I'm focussing on the tournament this time and not at all thinking about what happened in 2009. Iam returning to competitive tennis after a break of six weeks and have been training well. I'n feeling confident after my first full year on the tour and hope to do well this year too'', he said.

''I'm hoping to break into the top 100 at the earliest and naturally focus on my game to play in more tournaments. I'll keep working hard on my game so that the results and the rankings will take care of themselves'', he said.

About his fine run in Davis Cup tie against South Africa he said the Davis Cup was good.

''So far I haven't had any problems in balancing between the two.

I'll have to see how things work out in the future. But playing in the Davis Cup has also been great'', he added.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\