YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default It's been a great game for us: Ponting

Follow us on Social Media

After Australia won the first Test of the three-match series against Pakistan here today, captain Ricky Ponting declared the victory as one of the side's best in years.

''It's been a great game for us, it's one of our best Test wins in quite a while I think,'' said Ponting, who also became Test cricket's most winning player and captain.

''Right from the start of the game with the Katich and Watson partnership it set a foundation for a very good Test match,'' the skipper was quoted as saying by the 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

Nathan Hauritz claimed his maiden five-wicket haul in first-class cricket as Australia wrapped up a comprehensive 170-run victory over Pakistan.

Hauritz, whose previous best was four for 86, spun Australia to victory shortly after lunch on the final day at the MCG after Mitchell Johnson had earlier set the tone with a devastating spell of pace bowling in the first Test.

''What players like him need is just that break-out performance,'' Ponting said. ''Unless you have got over the line and really done it when it matters you will always have doubts about yourself and whether you can do it and today in Nathan's career could be one of those really big turning points. Let's hope for Nathan's sake this will be a really big kick-start to his Test career.

''What (Johnson) has done (since his poor Test at Lords) I guess is just play a bit more cricket. He is more experienced, he has more knowledge of his own game, more knowledge about different conditions and different opposition players. One of the big things for Mitch is the fact he is not bowling with the new ball,'' the 34-year-old added.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\