YouR De$i RaPPeR
    Spain BCN (Barcelona)

Default Shabana plays a 'double' role

Follow us on Social Media

After a span of almost two years, Shabana Azmi is back on stage for the play Broken Images. A psychological thriller, this play is about a Hindi short story writer who suddenly gets critical acclaim and international fame for writing a bestseller in English.

"It is the relationship between her and her image, and at no point can we say that the image is actually her, her conscience, or whether it is her younger sister Malini, who used to write in English, but was paralysed from birth," says Shabana Azmi.

Broken Images, directed by Alyque Padamsee, sees Shabana Azmi playing a double role of sorts. The actress won't be enacting two characters, but two facets of the same character.

Alyque Padamsee says, "This is the first time anywhere in the world that the actress on stage is speaking to herself and reacting to things. Here on the stage in real life, she is trying to deal with the second persona of herself. It is a fantastic challenge and we worked very hard at it."

Shabana Azmi adds, "Technically, it's a huge challenge, because the image that I play lasts for 42 minutes and it is a single take. I have never done it in my 30-year career - to give just a single take. When there are two actors playing different characters, you have the ability to improvise, but you can't do that here and it's frightening.

Written by acclaimed playwright Girish Karnad and produced by Raell Padamsee, Broken Images premieres on December 17 in Mumbai.

.~*\ .............~**~...~*\../`*~. ~**~-,
    .\.....\,.~*\/.... /\.....\... ..V...../ ...(_)...\
    ..\............ .\.....\/..../. \........ ./\......,.~*
    ....\,.~* ..`.-.,,.-`..\, ,./.....\..,,`.\