Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Suniel wins award for Red Alert

Follow us on Social Media

Suniel Shetty woke up to a pleasant surprise last week.

The macho Bollywood actor bagged the Best Actor Award at the South Asian International Film Festival held in New York for Star Entertainment’s Red Alert — The War Within. The film, produced by T P Agarwal and Rahul Agarwal, is a gritty mainstream realistic film borne out of today’s headlines on the sensitive Naxalite movement and Suniel feels it is very important from the world cinema perspective because “Governments in countries like India and Nepal are dealing with Naxalites and Maoists currently.”

Red Alert is a delicately handled film of a true account of the reality about Naxalism based on Siaram Kavalsingh (Suniel Shetty) who finds himself in the midst of the movement and forced to make difficult, morally questionable choices. About his winning the Best Actor award, Suniel said, “I was surprised at this honour and humbled too.” Candidly he admitted that a majority of the Bollywood critics label him “wooden” and he is often subject to disparaging remarks in reviews. “I dread opening the paper on a Friday when my film releases,” said the actor. He is, however, kicked about Red Alert and feels that besides him all his co-stars including senior actors like Vinod Khanna and Naseeruddin Shah have also turned in great performances. “It just makes all the hard work and effort seem so much pleasurable,” said the actor. Of Naxalism, Suniel added, “There is a very thin line between being a revolutionary and being labelled a terrorist. Naxalites have nothing against their mother country, their fight is against the administration. And so Naxalites aren’t bad guys. They believe in a certain ideology that is different from yours and mine, but that doesn’t make them enemies of the country.”

The film, written by filmmaker Aruna Raje, premiered at Stuttgart and was bestowed with a five star rating by German critics and also won The Director’s Vision Award for its sensitive treatment of the Naxal movement. A New York critic said the film was admirable in its effort to inform of this tragic tide of violence. Suniel Shetty feels that perhaps the film’s brutal honesty is what got the attention of international film critics. After the world premiere, the film will also have an Asian premiere at the prestigious International Film Festival of India to be held in Goa soon.

thanks for sharing