Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default I left JAIL with a Heavy Heart : Madhur Bhandarkar

Follow us on Social Media

It's a known fact by now that last week, Madhur Bhandarkar introduced his upcoming film JAIL to those, majority of whom won't really be getting a chance to see in near future. This time around his audiences were 1500 inmates at Tihar Jail. No wonder, when he returned to Mumbai with Neil Nitin Mukesh, Manoj Bajpai and music director Shamir Tandon, he was visibly shaken.

"It was a memorable trip for me. Of course for my research I had visited jails before but Tihar visit was special since I have a much better understanding of life there after completing the film. At the end of 3 hours that I spent there, I was left with a heavy heart", says Madhur Bhandarkar who is promising yet another hard hitting expose with his latest film which is a joint production between Bhandarkar Entertainment and Percept Picture Company.

Since majority of inmates may not be out around the release of his film, Madhur has requested the film to be played on DVD once it's out on stands. He wants the inmates to know that he hasn't dramatized their plight but showed things the way they are in reality.

"I was surprised with the way inmates out there were posting queries about the film", says Madhur, "Since the subject is so close to them, they were really curious to know how it has been put to life on screen. When I spoke to the inmates about the possibility of watching the film within the jail, they were quite excited. I have requested the officials there to screen the film for them on DVD which should be out a few weeks after the theatrical release. Thankfully they have consented as well. I will surely arrange a DVD viewing for them."

This was not the only reason that has the Tihar inmates smiling. A special message from Lata Mangeshkar in the form of a song from the film 'Daata Sun Le Maula Seun Le' caught their attention as well.

"This was a gift from Lata di to all the inmates", admits Madhur, "In fact before airing the song on music channels, we wanted it to be played in the jail first since it's a devotional track that makes good sense there. It has a serene feeling to it while lending the message of peace and harmony. As the song was played, we all also wished that these inmates finish their sentence and are released soon."