Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default No Bhai Dooj for Priya, Sanjay Dutt

Follow us on Social Media

She is 43 now and Priya Dutt can’t recall a single year when she celebrated bhai dooj at home!

Pleasantly surprising indeed in a family which has, among other things, also been in the news for the sibling bond. Ask Dutt why this preference for rakhi and not bhai dooj and she says, “I really can’t fathom any reason for this preference. I don’t even remember my friends celebrating it either. Raksha bandhan has always been very special in our family. My mom and dad used to explain to us the significance of the festival. Initially, when my brother was in a boarding school, we would post rakhis to him. Our parents would give Sanju money so that he’d buy gifts for us. When he started working, my sister and I would wait for the money he’d gift us after we tied the thread. Honestly speaking, we secretly preferred getting money so that we could buy what we liked instead of he getting stuff for us.”

Soon the conversation veers towards how his bond with his brother has matured with time even though it has weathered many a storm. “We live in the same building and our bond is very strong. I believe the strongest relationship that exists in our lives are those with parents and siblings. These bonds are meant to last for ever and nothing or no one can ever come in between,” she says.

Of course, the ups and downs are only natural. “Life, otherwise, would become boring and monotonous. Being siblings doesn’t mean we share the same personalities. One has to grow to respect one’s sibling for who he is and also be there for him. Brotherhood also means respecting differences. We might not agree with each other’s choices but that doesn’t mean we start hating each other,” Dutt adds.

But what about moments when it gets very difficult to agree to disagree, since living that ideal life is not always possible? “It’s difficult only if one expects. Dad has always taught us that we must learn to do things without expectations,” she says before insisting on the importance of the pursuit of happiness. As she puts it, “As a sister, my happiness comes from knowing that he is happy living the life he wants to. I am not here to be happy by imposing my set of beliefs on him.”

Finally, does it seem too late to start indulging in the bhai dooj ritual now? “Yes, I think I’m way past the time when I could begin celebrating it. But, I will surely find out the reason when I meet him on Sunday evening and ask if he knows why we’ve never celebrated this festival,” she signs off.