Retired Staff

Arrow Bollywood Ladies Fast for Karva Chauth

Follow us on Social Media

Here's some trivia: Karva Chauth dates back eons and is a day where married women are meant to fast without food or water for their husband's long life. Traditionally, Indian women dress up in bridal wear and wait for the moon to come out before they can break their fast which is meant to signify the wife's devotion and love for her spouse. However, in Bollywood, it's not just the wives who are abandoning food on this day; girlfriends and fiancÚs too have hopped on board to fast for their significant others.

When Twinkle Khanna Kumar fasts on this day, which she has been doing for a few years now, hubby Akshay Kumar too takes a day off from eating. The equal couples usually call on some close friends over on the day to keep them company. Kajol Devgan observes this day with her mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Husband Ajay Devgan however, quips, "I have told her many times not to fast but it is something she likes to do. I don't know how it helps in increasing the husband's life, but I am sure it helps the wives. They fast for a whole day detox their systems and get healthy, so I think it benefits them more."

Mana Shetty quickly called her husband Suneil Shetty when it was time to break her fast this year. He actor who was shooting outside of Mumbai claimed, "No matter where I am, I have to make sure that I am back by evening on this day. Mana has rung me up to tell me to come home fast as she was feeling hungry."

Kareena Kapoor was too busy to fast this year after she did so last year, as her shooting schedule did not allow her to do so. However, she did add that she would do so again "after seven years". While the rest of the Khan women kept the fast for their respective husbands, Katrina Kaif refrained only to say, "For what? I am not married." Gauri Khan skipped out this year as she is holidaying in Rome as did Deepika Padukone who was travelling. Her beau's mother, Neetu Singh however is an avid follower of the tradition.

Ameesha Patel kept the fast for her boyfriend Kanav Puri as did Sridevi for Boney Kapoor and Manyata Dutt for her husband Sanjay Dutt. While Manyata had a big party last year, she kept it low-key this year. Sridevi on the other hand joined sister-in-law Maheep, Sanjay Kapoor's wife, as they fasted and celebrated at the Kapoor house.

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Thank You Very Much