Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default No problems for the married ones!

Follow us on Social Media

It is said more women are lost to matrimony than to natural disasters like famine and floods. In Bollywood, things are finally changing.

The married tag is no longer an impediment for actresses to continue scaling heights. In a survey conducted to find out the hottest girl in Bollywood, the married Aishwarya Rai Bachchan led by 45 per cent votes over some of the established single girls in B-town. While one may discount such surveys to a degree, one cannot overlook the fact that Aishwarya is still one of the most major players in Bollywood despite being married and being over 30.

The excitement around Kajol’s pairing with Shah Rukh Khan in Karan Johar’s My Name is Khan is palpable. The film is touted as 2010’s most major project, simply because pre or post marriage, every time Kajol has had a release, the talented actress has generated lots of curiosity.

Kareena Kapoor, who has always admired Kajol and is acting opposite her in Karan Johar’s Hindi adaptation of Stepmom, says, “I’m as excited about teaming up with Kajol as I was teaming up with Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan or Salman Khan. She’s a supremely talented actress and working with her is a challenge. I’m sure our combination will be a big box office draw.’’

Ash’s list of movie assignments includes - Mani Ratnam’s Raavan, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Guzaarish, Shankar’s Endhiran/ Robot, Vipul Shah’s Action Replayy and Abhinay Deo’s Crooked. She comes with a price tag that is higher than most actresses, and the Padmashree Mrs Bachchan has got endorsements going for almost 10 years in a row with an international cosmetic and watch brand.

She’s notched up successful films after marriage like Jodhaa Akbar and Sarkar Raj. In other words, she’s calling the shots in the Bachchan household - Jalsa - and in the industry.
    Prabhat Chaudhary who heads the marketing of an established agency says, “Aishwarya is a huge international brand name. Her equity on board a film project definitely changes the dimensions of the project itself.”

Madhuri Dixit is in talks with two leading producers for her next venture post Aaja Nach Le. The film was cold turkey, but Madhuri’s presence was appreciated. Ayesha Takia Azmi, who is currently in Wanted and Aap Ke Liye Hum, is also studying a couple of scripts, which she may greenlight.

“It is 2009,” says Ayesha. “For God’s sake, married women are multi-tasking the world over. A woman is India’s foreign secretary, a woman heads one of the biggest multinational banks and Aishwarya and Kajol are two forces to reckon with. Marriage is suddenly just another aspect of a female actor, it doesn’t take away from her box-office status.’’

Like Sharmila Tagore puts it, “Way back in the early 70s, I showed the way for married actresses to continue with their careers. Some of my biggest hits like Aradhana were post 1970, after my son Saif Ali Khan was born. I’m glad actresses today no longer feel the need to ‘retire’ after marriage. Marriage after all is just a social standing, not a chain around your foot. For many actresses across the globe, sometimes marriage is followed by super success.