Default Cricket = Clarke - We're out to win it

Follow us on Social Media

Clarke - We're out to win it
    Aussie vice-captain insists pressure is on England

Michael Clarke insists Australia will be going all out to win Thursday's decisive final Test against England despite only needing a draw to retain the Ashes.

A comprehensive innings and 80 run victory at Headingley ensured the tourists squared the series at 1-1 meaning that England it is England who must now triumph at The Oval to claim the little urn.

However, Clarke is adamant that Australia will have nothing but another win on their minds when they take to the field on Thursday.

When asked whether they would be playing for a draw, he responded: "I don't think we should start now. Out of the fifty-odd Tests I've played we've never tried to play for a draw so I'm pretty confident we won't be out there trying to have a draw."

Clarke also acknowledged that Australia's 2005 Ashes series defeat on English soil would serve as extra motivation in the days ahead.

"It's motivated me to date, yeah," he added. "Definitely.

"Once I arrived over in England in the back of my mind there's certainly memories of '05 that I wish I could forget.

"But that's I suppose what makes you become a better player and you try to learn from your mistakes not only as an individual but also as a team and I'm certain that all the guys that played in '05 in the Australian team will be really keen to make sure the result is a lot different come Monday."