Retired Staff

Default Audiences like Sharmila and me together: Amol

Follow us on Social Media

Now, it’s Sharmila Tagore’s turn to act in a Marathi film with Amol Palekar.

“We did the Bengali film, Mother, almost 30 years ago. When I approached her for my Marathi film Samantar, Sharmila said, ‘Amol, you acted in my language; now it’s my turn to act in yours’,” says Amol.

Will Amol and Sharmila recreate the magic in Samantar, which will release on September 4? “Samantar is intense and passionate. It will not have the same magic as Mother. It has magic of a different kind. The music was magical in Mother. I still hear people hum those tunes. They like Sharmila and me together in it. Samantar, too, has music that will linger for years,” says the veteran actor-director.
    This is the first time after Anakahe in 1985 that Amol has donned the hats of actor and director.

“When my wife Sandhya Gokhale narrated the story to me a few years ago, I told her I didn’t know when I’d make the film. But I said, ‘When I do, I’d like to play the protagonist, Keshav Waze’. He is a strong, multi-layered character who wants to lead his life a certain way; I immediately identified with it,” says Amol.

And language, the veteran actor maintains, is no barrier in cinema. “I’ve made Quest in English, Paheli in Hindi and Dhyaas Parva in Marathi. Every story relates to a certain style of acting. The songs demand a certain texture to go with the story. Every time I have a script, I try and listen to the demands of the story and choose the language,” says the film-maker.

Amol has made 15 films so far and is overwhelmed by their success. “I’m happy to have made films that the public relates to without succumbing to market pressures and mainstream formula,” he says.
    And there are other yesteryear heroines Amol would love to recreate magic with. “There are so many heroines I’ve admired and Rekha tops the list. Whenever we meet, Rekha asks, ‘Mein application leke kab aaon?’. I’d love to do a film that does justice to her stupendous talent,” signs off Amol.

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Thank You Very Much

thanks dear