Retired Staff

Default Kalki reveals her plan!

Follow us on Social Media

The last time Kalki Koechlin was in Bangalore was in April for her brother’s wedding

And when the Dev.D star comes to town this week for her play The Skeleton Woman, it’ll be something of a family affair as well. “It’s the first time my family will be seeing the play, which we’ve staged in Mumbai, Delhi, Chandigarh and Chennai so far,” she says.

For Kalki, who studied drama and theatre at the University of London, the stage is something she’s used to. “I came to Bangalore last year and acted in Ajay Krishnan’s Hair at Rangashankara,” she recalls. But The Skeleton Woman is her baby.

“I’ve co-written the play with Prashant Prakash. It has its origins in an Inuit folk tale I first came across at one of Anamika Haksar’s acting workshops. I did a couple of scenes for the workshop and came back to it six or seven months later. Prashant liked the story too and wrote some scenes for it,” she explains.

Kalki’s teamed up with Dev.D director and boyfriend Anurag Kashyap for The Skeleton Woman, but insists his role is very minimal. “He’s the producer and has very little say in the play except where money is concerned,” she says.

Was his theatre background of help to Kalki and Prashant during rehearsals? “Anurag knows how important creative freedom is. He’s like that as a director too. He’d rather make a film on a lower budget than compromise on his creativity,” says Kalki.

Come October and the actress will start shooting for a couple of films. “There’s Shaitan, Bijoy Nambiar’s directorial debut. In it, I play an angst-ridden 17-year-old,” reveals Kalki. Will she always take 10 years off her real age for her on-screen roles, seeing that she did the same thing for her big-screen debut? “I’m doing an Onir film called I Am Afia in which I’m playing an older, more serious girl who works in an NGO,” she says.

The actress is spacing out her film projects because she’s being picky about the roles she wants to do. “I get lots of offers to play the sexy foreign ladki, so I have to be careful about the work I do,” admits Kalki, who says that foreign faces are “exploited” in Indian films.

“It’s not like film-makers are using foreign faces in the most flattering way — whether it’s a sexy girl dancing in the background, or a shy girl like Giselle Monteiro’s character in Love Aaj Kal. That’s why it took me so long — I had to go for auditions for three years before I got anything that I felt was exciting. But good roles are worth waiting for,” she maintains.

Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Thank You Very Much

thanks dear