Moderator www.desirulez.net

Default [Cricket] Ramdin charged for claimed catch

Follow us on Social Media

West Indies' wicket-keeper Denesh Ramdin has been charged by the ICC with "conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the game".

Ramdin attempted to claim a catch off the bat of Pakistan captain Misbah Ul-Haq in their ICC Champions Trophy clash at the Oval, despite dropping the ball as he dived forward to try and pouch it.

The 28-year-old has pleaded not guilty to the offence, and will now face a hearing in London on Monday.

If found to be guilty by a panel, Ramdin could be charged between 50 and 100 percent of his match fee, or even slapped with a suspension of up to two 50-over contests.

Speaking after the game, Misbah said: "I think he should have told them what happened, but I don't know what he was thinking at that time. I would not be very happy if my wicket-keeper did that.

"If we don't know anything, then it's fine, but if you know clearly that it's not a catch, you should not claim that because it's not in the spirit of the game."

West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo was sympathetic, however, and backed his team-mate's plea of innocence.

He claimed: "Denesh honestly thought he had control of the ball.

"By rights the umpire had another look and the replay showed he did not. So we don't play the game like that. History shows we've never had anything negative against us unlike other teams.

"Unfortunately, he did not catch it. He's a very honest player, and as I said, history shows if you check the records that we don't have any stigma or negatives around us as a team."

Ramdin went on to provide crucial late runs in the sides' opening Group B meeting, as the Caribbean nation made hard work of chasing down a target of 171, Kemar Roach sealing the win with a four after eight wickets had tumbled for Bravo's side.