Hot Member www.desirulez.net

Default Review: Yamla Pagla Deewana-2

Follow us on Social Media

Movie: Review: Yamla Pagla Deewana-2
    Cast: Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol, Annu Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Johny Lever, Neha Sharma, Kristina Akheeva
    Director: Sangeeth Sivan
    Rating: Two stars

I have often wondered about junior school teachers, how heartless some of them were in my time. I was put through the torture of a Convent school where we were judged and marked with grades — A to E. I dwelled in Cs and Ds for most part of my life, shamed and ashamed. And when I grew up, I would think about those malevolent class teachers.
    What was it that these grown adults were expecting from six and seven year olds? Perfect cursive writing, on the bloody dotted lines? Heart-rending rendition of Incy Wincy Spider? Hair and pleats staying in place till the end of the school? Not forgetting to wish ma’am g’morning?

Today, while watching Yamla Pagla Deewana-2, I got it. I got the answer. Whether you are a gurgling rug-rat or a Class 12 bundle of hormones, you will be judged. Not by the standards set by your precocious, prissy predecessors, but by one simple fact: the joy you give the teachers in return for the time and energy they put into you.

And so we shall judge Yamla Pagla Deewana-2, like the class teachers of a Class of Deols. They get a D+, simply for not trying. For just turning up, without purpose or a plan. There’s very little joy in being in the presence of complacent mediocrity. And it’s downright energy-sapping to be held hostage by languid have-beens who come to life only for brief moments, to mimic their old selves. YPD-2 gives us both.

We begin in Varanasi where Dharam Dhillon (Dharmendra) is in the garb of a moh-maya-tyaag-do-bachche babaji. His guru mantra is “yamla, pagla, deewana”. His son Gajodhar (Bobby Deol) is his con assistant — so when he flings his iPad, so do other bhakts. And the wristwatch, the gold chain and so on. Given the collection from one outing on the ghats of Ganga, I would have thought that they are good for a couple of years. Apparently not.

So when Sir Yograj Khanna (Annu Kapoor) from England comes to babaji, Dharam’s eyes twinkle and settle on his diamond rings. A plan gets hatched: Gajodhar makes a dirty video of a very rich businessman which he then uses to blackmail him — the businessman, Oberoi, must pretend that Dharam is Oberoi, the malik of Oberoi, Oberoi & Oberoi Company, and he, the real Oberoi, is the butler. Sir Yograj arrives, is impressed and, in the course of the conversation, mentions his daughter.

Gajodhar and Suman Khanna (Neha Sharma) have already had a run-in, over a cut-out of Chulbul Pandey (Dabangg). Salman Khan and his films are used a lot here, to tickle us and connect with us. It’s pitiable really that the three Deols need to ride on Salman’s shoulders to make us laugh.

Anyway, Dharam tells Gajodhar to go make Suman fall in love with him, which he does and soon marriage is fixed, in England.

If you’ve seen YPD-1, then you’ll recall that Dharam had another son, the good, simple Paramveer (Sunny Deol) who was brought up by his mother in Canada.

Paramveer now lives in London and is some sort of a loan recovery agent for a bank. Paramveer talks directly to God and God answers, with a ting of his ghanti. Paramveer is under the impression that his father and brother have quit their conning ways.

Paramveer’s loan recovery assignments are more like emotional bonding sessions — he becomes the defaulters’ true friend and helps them sort out their lives.

Sir Yograj Khanna is one such defaulter and Paramveer lands up at his club just as the strongmen of one Joginder Armstrong (Anupam Kher) arrive to take over the club.
    Joginder is mostly called “Dude” and has the hair and gall to reference one of cinema’s most curious and cherished characters (Jeff “The Dude” from The Big Lebowski). Let’s just do kulli, manjan, brain-wash and rid ourselves of the memory of this traumatic incident.

Joginder’s two main flunkies — Johny Lever and Sucheta Khanna — always arrive in fancy dresses, the first one being Don-Don-Don and Cat Woman respectively. Okay, as I write this, I am giggling because the idea is funny — it’s absurd, of course, but what’s also funny is how it pooh-poohs Priyanka Chopra’s poise and character in Don-2. But what’s funny on paper isn’t always amusing on screen.
    Anyway. Paranveer, the Super Sardar, bashes up the goons with his fists but only after he makes them faint and feeble with the power of his larynx. Sir Yograj hugs him and makes him his manager.

What do you think happens next? Exactly what you expect, but the journey is made mildly interesting because of an orangutan, Einstein, Gajodhar’s judwa bhai called Q, and Sir Yograj’s real daughter Reet (Kristina Akheeva) for whose preet both brothers vie.

It says something about a film when you flit between Bobby Deol and an orangutan, wondering on whom to pin the best actor badge.

Director Sangeeth Sivan’s Yamla Pagla Deewana-2 is a lesser film than its 2011 predecessor, because it wastes its most precious asset — the three Deols. The bond and chemistry between the Deols is so heart-warming that it can lift the dead. But YPD-2 ignores that, completely.

In fact, it mistreats all its actors. Anupam Kher is used like a random loose cannon, whenever the script needs Sunny paaji’s fistcuffs to lift the film from the morass of boredom it keeps sinking into. Annu Kapoor turns up to read his dull lines.

Yamla Pagla Deewana-2’s story has been written by Sunny Deol’s wife Lynda Deol. It’s a perfectly silly scenario, with a few funny lines, an ape, and sumo wrestlers and ninja killers — creatures to be chopped and sautéed by Sunny paaji. But it lacks comic energy and for that the blame rests on the director.

Also, everything — every character, every emotion — is infantilised here. Which is fine, but the film is not even true to its single-adjective characters.

It keeps breaking the narrative to remind us of the old characters these burly men have played. This feeling of I’ve-been-here-before lingers throughout the film and makes us disconnect with the characters here and wonder, hmmm, should they be marked D or D+.
    dR Boss is back babyy

watch ur own :p www.desirulez.net

Yamla Pagla Deewana was alot better this this squeal.

flop movie

Member www.desirulez.net

Just okay! Could not impressed so much...