Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shawn rebecca

Default MARCH 29 2013 NEWS + Updates

Follow us on Social Media

Extreme Rising Explains WrestleMania Week Cancellations

In addition to our official statement released Tuesday evening, we want to address a few topics in concerns to the cancellations for Wrestlemania Weekend.

First, we made a hard business decision to cancel three events due to poor ticket sales. Why did ER have low ticket sales? We don't know exactly, but we had a late start in announcing the WM weekend events where other promotions already had ticket on sale and alot of people already made their commitments to do other things early on.

We were damned if we kept the dates on the books and damned if we cancel --either situation leaving us in a major hole to climb out of. Keep in mind that the 3 Extreme Rising events Wrestlemania weekend probably cost more money than all the events combined running at Wrestlecon the entire weekend. Extreme Rising events are not cheap to do, even small events like the Staten Island double shot.

Extreme Reunion and Extreme Rising has been climbing out of holes since the first show, and it has not been easy, but we press on --just like we will now. Extreme Rising is not "over" --nor "out of business". We have to regroup, pick ourselves up, and we will continue on. We have gone through a lot to this point, and we are not stopping now. There is ALOT to handle with the cancellations. Everyone who is due a refund --will get their refund. Refunds can be made a point of purchase through Paypal or even your bank or credit card company.

The last thing we want to do is cancel events. It hurts the fans, wrestlers, and the company --but if we ran those events, it very well could've been much worse! NO Extreme Rising event has had great walk ups! ALL of our events had great pre-sales! These 3 events did not. Some say DVD sales will make up for the loss. Those who say that do not know what they speak of of and are one hundred percent wrong. The DVD market for pro wrestling is not what it used to be (thanks to piracy and illegal "tape traders"), and is soft for most --if not all wrestling companies outside WWE and TNA, as they both have national retail distribution. We did not cancel events because we did not sell out, we cancelled because ticket sales were much lower than they have ever been and the budget for WM weekend was very expensive and risky --too risky!

Again, we understand everyone's frustrations, we too are also very frustrated --our plans never called for cancellations, but if we ran the events, and things stayed the course --it could've been disastrous. For now we are working on taking care of everything that must be handled to regroup, re-focus, and continue."

shawn rebecca

Ranjit Chahal sent this one in:

Evan Bourne returned to WWE last night facing Sammy Sane (El Generico) at the NXT show. In March 2012, Bourne was involved in a car accident which broke his foot in four places and dislocated it in five. The return comes after Bourne had been out for a full year due to injury.

When asked by a fan on Twitter earlier this week when he'd be returning to action, he replied, "Not Long!"

Bourne suffered a badly broken foot in a car accident last March. He tweeted at the time that the foot was "Broken in 4 spots, dislocated in 5" and has been doing physical rehabilitation in recent months in preparation for his return.

shawn rebecca

shawn rebecca

Hulk Hogan Scores Win In Legal Battle Over Sex Tape

Hulk Hogan scored a win in his lawsuit against Gawker.com over the leaking of his sex tape. Judge James Whittemore granted Hogan's motion to remand the lawsuit back to state court; Gawker was attempting to get the case moved to federal court. Whittemore also granted the motion to link the lawsuit with Hogan's separate lawsuit against Heather Clem, the ex-wife of Bubba the Love Sponge. That motion was granted based on "chain of custody" questions regarding how the sex tape ended up in Gawker's hands.

The judge noted, "The claims against Heather Clem and Gawker are 'logically related' and rest on the same set of operative facts - namely, the recording and publication of the video."

The case is back in Florida state now; it is being reported that Gawker still has a good chance to win based on its First Amendment defense, but they are on less certain ground now.

dR www.desirulez.net

You have been here for over 2 years and you still can't use the edit button.

shawn rebecca

Maria Menonous has revealed that, as long-rumored, she will induct Bob Backlund into the WWE Hall of Fame this year as part of the class of 2013. Menounous revealed the news on LIVE with Kelly & Michael.

WWE also confirmed Thursday that Bob Backlund will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 6, 2013 by Maria Menounos, who has worked with the legendary wrestler in the past. WWE has posted the video at this link.

Here is the confirmed 2013 WWE Hall of Fame Class, as well as the confirmed and rumored inductors…

Bruno Sammartino - To be inducted by Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Mick Foley – To be inducted by Terry Funk
    Bob Backlund - To be inducted by Maria Menonous
    Trish Stratus - To be inducted by Amy "Lita" Dumas (Rumored)
    Booker T - To be inducted by brother Stevie Ray (Rumored)
    Donald Trump - To be inducted by daughter Ivanka Trump (Rumored)

WWE sent out the following press release regarding Menounos inducing Backlund.

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. : Maria Menounos to Induct Bob Backlund into WWE® Hall of Fame

WWE (NYSE:WWE) announced today that Extra Host Maria Menounos will induct Bob Backlund into the WWE Hall of Fame. The ceremony will be held at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, April 6, 2013 as part of WrestleMania® Week.

Maria Menounos competed at WrestleMania 28 in Miami, FL on April 1, 2012. She will induct Bob Backlund into the WWE Hall Of Fame Class of 2013 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, April 6, 2013. (Photo: Business Wire)

Menounos has made multiple appearances on WWE programming dating back to 2009 when she made her in-ring debut and co-hosted Monday Night Raw with Nancy O'Dell. In 2011, Menounos appeared at WWE Tribute to the Troops where she teamed with Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly and Alicia Fox to defeat the team of The Bella Twins and WWE Divas Natalya and Beth Phoenix. Menounos continued her feud after Phoenix and Eve Torres interrupted an interview segment with Kelly Kelly on Extra. This led to a tag team match at WrestleMania 28 where she teamed with Kelly Kelly to defeat Torres and Phoenix.

Menounos, a lifelong WWE fan, idolized Backlund while growing up and met him through partner Keven Undergaro, who as Head Writer of MTV's Singled Out, cast Backlund to guest star alongside Jenny McCarthy and Chris Hardwick. Menounos then worked with Backlund on the comedy feature, In the Land of Merry Misfits, and the two have been close ever since. Backlund was present at Menounos Miss Massachusetts USA competition and ran alongside her at the Nike Celebrity Road Race.

"It is an honor to induct my good friend Bob Backlund into the WWE Hall of Fame," said Maria Menounos. "Watching him carry the title for a since unmatched five years and then stage such an incredible comeback with a reinvented persona puts him in a class all his own. Add in his incredible work ethic and high moral caliber, and you have everything that defines the word champion. And astonishingly, he can still wrestle with guys a third his age! He's my hero and my friend. I can't wait for the ceremony on April 6."

"I am truly humbled to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame," said Bob Backlund. "Maria has been a friend for years and I can't think of someone I would rather have induct me at Madison Square Garden."

A one-hour Hall of Fame special will air on Tuesday, April 9 at 10:00 p.m. ET on USA Network. WrestleMania 29 airs live on pay-per-view Sunday, April 7 at 7:00 p.m. ET from MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.

shawn rebecca

New Zealand Network Drops iMPACT! Wrestling

TNA iMPACT! Wrestling will no longer be airing on SKY TV in New Zealand after next month. TNA issued the following statement about the news: "We regret to inform our wonderful fans in New Zealand that TNA IMPACT WRESTLING will no longer air on the BOX beyond April 2013. Therefore the last episode of TNA IMPACT WRESTLING on the BOX will be on Saturday, April 27. It is the goal of everyone working at TNA IMPACT WRESTLING to find a new home for all TNA programming in New Zealand."

SKY TV said the decision was ratings-related, noting in a statement, "Unfortunately due to low ratings we have to let TNA Impact Wrestling go from our schedule. The last episode of Impact will air on Saturday April 27th."

shawn rebecca

Trish Stratus: 'I Was Shocked By WWE HOF Induction'

Trish Stratus recently spoke with Monday Night Mayham about her WWE Hall of Fame induction this year and more. CHeck out the highlights:

On her WWE Hall of Fame induction: "It was the end of 2012. I was home. I got a call and was told the news. It was a little bit of a shock, because I feel like I just wrestled yesterday. I'm just super honored. It's exciting, because when I heard about the class and everyone else being inducted, I was just so thrilled and honored to be in the same class. I never thought I would get in, and just to know that I'm accepted, I'm going to be a fan just getting my pictures with everyone."

On her favorite match of her career: "My favorite will probably have to me my WrestleMania match with Mickie (James) at WrestleMania 22 in Chicago. The fact that it was my last WrestleMania match. I think why our era was so different and memorable than maybe today is the storylines and character development. What that match did was it embodied all the elements that era embodied: strong story and deep character development, but also solid work. I think that whole combination is what was brought out in that match, and you could see the crowd invested in a story that was six months long. I look at that match as the pinnacle of that era."

On her Stratusphere Yoga studio and brand: "When I retired in 2006, one of my first business venture was to open up a yoga studio. I opened up place north of Toronto called Stratusphere. That's where I started the foundation for the brand, and spreading the word about yoga, and living a balanced lifestyle. The transition to develop my own style happened when I was about to film my movie 'Bounty Hunters.' I realized I was playing this kick-ass bounty hunter, and I was a 'yoga chick.' So I ended up creating this routine, which was integrating strength training moments into my yoga flow, and my body totally changed. So I started showing people the style I was doing, and it really caught on. That's how I developed Stratusphere Yoga, and then I started producing the DVD's."

shawn rebecca

Taker-WWE Update

The Undertaker is being advertised by the O2 Arena in London for WWE's April 23rd SmackDown taping as a "London Exclusive," which is likely to be a dark match appearance.

-- A new photo from inside Metlife Stadium has leaked online. WWE is currently in the process of setting up the massive WrestleMania set. The new photo features a large Empire State Building. We also know there will be a large Statue of Liberty piece: If you're interested, you can click here to view the new photo from inside Metlife Stadium.

-- Several weeks ago, we also posted these photos featuring several pieces of the WrestleMania 29 set being built.

-- WWE has launched a WrestleMania 29 channel at Yahoo!. You can view it at this link. As of now, the page features the complete "Road To WrestleMania" series and clips from classic matches.

Thanks for your continued support of eWrestlingNews.com. Please be sure to check back in often over the next several weeks as we expect things to get VERY busy ... much busier than they already are!

shawn rebecca

John Cena's Workout Routine + The Rock Q&A Recap

An article detailing John Cena's workout routine is posted on MensFitness.com.

-- The Rock has conducted his latest "Rock Talk" Q&A via Twitter. Check out the answers from the Q&A below:

Stop on by.. #RockTalk goes LIVE in 5min. Just finished high volume shoulders & traps. Sweaty & I smell.. Bring it..

My fav Wrestlemania moment will come April 7. Met Life Stadium. The greatest way I can give back to the @WWE. #RockTalk @TheDouble_D_Dad

My current diet is a 14 week prep to shoot Hercules. 7 meals a day. Protein/carbs/greens. Zero fat. It's a *****. #RockTalk @WWE_JCena

Making #GIJoeRetaliation & playing Roadblock was a childhood dream come true. Super cool, plus Block's a bad mofo! #RockTalk @HKCresswell

Prep for #GIJoeRetaliation fight scenes was tough. Trained w Navy SEALs & fight choreographers. Had to look legit. #RockTalk @CoopSmash

Working w/ Michael Bay & Wahlberg on PAIN & GAIN was solid. My boys. P&G will be unlike anything you've ever seen.. #RockTalk @JServ1105

3 important things I learned for success: Stay hungry, humble & surround yourself w/ quality peeps. (And eat pancakes) #RockTalk @VicYounis

I want to play a Jedi, Space Cowboy & Evil Sith all rolled into one. Anything's possible - calling JJ! #StarWars #RockTalk @BarrydaVillain

My top choices now to win it all are Miami or Syracuse. #MarchMadness #RockTalk @Pookeo9

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have hurt the people I love. I'll reveal more on Oprah.. #NoTears #RockTalk @Manshoo7

One quote that best describes how I live.. "It's nice to be important. It's even more important to be nice". #RockTalk @amjordan726

shawn rebecca

WWE Losing Money On The HOF This Year

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE is reportedly losing quite a bit of money on the 2013 Hall of Fame ceremony due to it being held at Madison Square Garden.

Triple H is said to have campaigned heavily for the ceremony to be held at MSG despite the extremely high cost of running/renting the building because in addition to Bruno Sammartino, Mick Foley and Bob Backlund both have strong ties to the arena.

Additionally, the company felt that it was important to have some part of WrestleMania at the arena since the event is taking place in the New York/New Jersey market.

shawn rebecca

The Price To Take TNA iMPACT! On The Road Is

As noted earlier here on the website, the official WWE website continues its trend of acknowledging talent affiliated with TNA Wrestling as Tara, who was known as Victoria during her time with the sports-entertainment organization, is this week's addition to the Alumni section. WWE writes of the accomplished wrestler, "A two-time Women’s Champion who stomped icons like Trish Stratus and Lita in brutal Hardcore Matches, Victoria broke ground in the Divas division with her take-no-prisoners style and Widow's Peak finishing maneuver."

This is the fourth consecutive week where WWE has spotlighted talent affiliated with TNA Wrestling. Kurt Angle was profiled last week, and the former Dudley Boyz were added two weeks ago. Mr. Kennedy was also recently added.

-- TNA's new road taping schedule for iMPACT! Wrestling is quite a bit more expensive than staying in Orlando was.

We're told each set of iMPACT! tapings costs between $600,000 to $700,000. With the company running twenty-six tapings a year, that equates to $15 million to $17 million a year. The reason the cost is so high is due to production, renting 18-wheeler trucks for their ring/equipment, gas, travel expenses for a crew of 150+ people, renting the arena, plane tickets for the entire roster and crew, etc. It's very easy for fans to say "take iMPACT! on the road" without factoring in all the costs that come with it. The company then depends on ticket sales and merchandise to "break even". They are far from breaking even at the current time and are taking a major hit by taking the show on the road. Nonetheless, it's what the fans want and is also what the company needs to do to have the company succeed in the long run.

The cost of taking iMPACT! on the road is also part of the reason they tape two weeks worth of shows in the same night.

shawn rebecca

The Rock & John Cena To Appear On 'The Today Show', More

Joe White sent this one in: New Surge Live from last night featured ROH's Kevin Kelly and Special guest co-host Evan Ginzburg. Kelly talks about ROH's Wrestlemania weekend shows in NYC, Nigel McGuinness, how announcing has changed over the years, some thoughts on Dave Batista, how ROH gets over with different crowds and MUCH more. You can listen by clicking here.

-- According to the official website for The 02 arena in London, The Undertaker is being advertised for a SmackDown taping on 4/23 following WrestleMania 29. The company will be taping RAW the night before on 4/22. This is the only official advertisement for The Undertaker following WrestleMania 29. For more on the advertisement, click here.

-- WWE Champion The Rock and John Cena are both booked to appear on "The Today Show" on 4/3 to promote WrestleMania 29.

-- The Rock will be appearing on tonight's Jimmy Kimmel Live, which airs on ABC at 11:35PM ET.

dR www.desirulez.net

I've reported you to Insideout! You are plain annoying and you are increasing your post count.

shawn rebecca

CM Punk 'Burnt Out'; Taking Time Off

At this point, CM Punk is still expected to take time off following WrestleMania 29. Several people in WWE believe that he is more beat up than he's been letting on and he's believed to be burned out from his constant work for the company over the past two years.

With Punk out of action, WWE has made sure to secure both The Rock and Brock Lesnar for Extreme Rules. The show will have a six-week build and the star power means that the show may perform better than usual.

Punk has also reportedly been at odds with WWE's creative team in recent months.

shawn rebecca

Jeff Jarrett's TNA Future In Question + More

Spike TV executives have been talking about re-branding the network, with more of an emphasis on reality television and programming for women. They are even considering changing the name of the network, if necessary. Despite these changes, TNA iMPACT! is believed to be safe, since it's one of their highest rated shows and it's seen as a strong lead-in for Bellator MMA.

-- Jeff Jarrett's relationship with TNA is said to be "unclear" following the company not contacting him to work any of the promotion's One Night Only PPVs. Jarrett hasn't been in TNA storylines since 2011 so that he could work with their Ring Ka King promotion in India as well as a project for the SPEED channel; however there has been no movement on a second season of Ring Ka King and the SPEED project went nowhere.

shawn rebecca

Sin Cara Not Cleared To Return, Sammartino/WWE Update

Cody Rhodes is featured today in the "Superstar Spotlight" on WWE.com.

-- The producers of the new Bruno Sammartino movie are interested in working with WWE Studios to fund and produce the project.

-- Sin Cara has yet to be cleared to return to the ring following his concussion in a match with Jack Swagger on March 11th.

-- WWE is running an online pre-sale for the promotion's upcoming house show in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; tickets go on sale to the general public on Saturday. The pre-sale code is WWEEDMONTON.

shawn rebecca

A Big TNA iMPACT! **SPOILER** + Is Sting Backstage?

Former NWA Champion Adam Pearce is backstage at the TNA Impact Wrestling taping in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Sources say that he will be competing in the TNA Gutcheck tonight.

-- Sting issued the following tweet on Thursday. Been quiet for too long. @HulkHogan has not wanted to see me. He will listen to me tonight. #ImpactLIVE

-- Here are some recent TNA attendance figures from March 22 to March 23, 2013:

* 3/22 in Concord, North Carolina: 800 fans.
    * 3/23 in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina: 1,300 fans.

shawn rebecca

Has Anyone Tried To Fight The Rock In Public?

The Rock was recently asked BBC's Newsbeat whether anyone has ever been brave enough to challenge him to a fight in public. Here is what he had to say…

"That never happened. It didn't happen in wrestling when I was wrestling and it certainly doesn't happen these days. The toughest, most badass guys I run into, it could be bikers it could be anybody, everybody just wants to say hello."

shawn rebecca

Miz & Michael Cole, + WWE Attendance Figures

The Miz will be appearing at The Toga Bar at Caesars in Atlantic City following WWE's live event there on Saturday night.

-- Michael Cole will be hosting E Street Radio on Sirius on April 5 at 4PM ET. Cole is a big Bruce Springsteen fan.

-- Here are some recent WWE attendance figures from March 22 to March 26, 2013:

* 3/22 in Charlottesville, Virginia: 4,800 fans.
    * 3/23 in Fairfax, Virginia: 5,000 fans.
    * 3/23 in Norfolk, Virginia: sellout of 8,300 fans.
    * 3/24 in Salisbury, Maryland: sellout of 5,300 fans.
    * 3/24 in Baltimore, Maryland: 7,000 fans.
    * 3/25 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (RAW taping): sellout of 15,000 fans.
    * 3/26 in Hershey, Pennsylvania (SmackDown taping): sellout of 5,600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast