Moderator www.desirulez.net

Default [Cricket] Kohli tipped for India captaincy

Follow us on Social Media

Royal Challengers Bangalore coach Ray Jennings believes Virat Kohli can use the Indian Premier League to develop his leadership.

Jennings thinks Kohli will be the natural successor to current India captain MS Dhoni and feels the 24-year-old has a great opportunity to showcase his skills in the IPL.

RCB are tipped to go well in this year's edition of the Twenty20 competition, with the leading scorer in 2012 West Indian Chris Gayle lining up for the side again.

Sri Lankan pair Tillakaratne Dilshan and Muttiah Muralitharan, South African AB de Villiers and New Zealand's Daniel Vettori will add further firepower to the side.

"I said it three years ago ... Kohli will captain India," Jennings said, before offering his full support of his player.

"He has the captaincy ability and he's a superb human being, he's very fiery and we all know that, that's also a very good thing for a side. He's needs to make sure he gets his captaincy right.

"Dhoni is not going to be around for a long time. He needs to be ready for India and captaining the Royal Challengers is a stepping stone for Kohli to take over from Dhoni.

"He's a superb cricketer, probably one of the best at his age in the world, even at his age now. All we've got to do is give him that experience and lead him, he's a young guy, he's going to make mistakes but I'm going to be there to help him.

"We know he can throw a few fires but that's the excitement of the man."

South African Jennings is excited ahead of the new IPL season and thinks his side are stronger than they were last year.

And he labelled Gayle as his side's most crucial player as they aim to win the tournament for the first time after losing the final in 2009 and 2011.

"I'm excited to come back to my second home, just to be part of Bangalore again, it's exciting for me to see the development and what's happening with the new players and hopefully we can have a lot of fun this year," he said.

"Overall, on paper, I think we are a lot stronger than we were last year, but again in Twenty20 anything can happen, it's a strange game for 120 balls.

"If Gayle spends one hundred balls at the wicket we make three thousand, If Gayle gets out first ball we might lose the game. It's a strange format but on paper our side is good, the vibe in the side is positive and everybody's committed."

Royal Challengers Bangalore play the Mumbai Indians in their season opener on April 4.