Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default | B-Town on Sikh Leave

Follow us on Social Media

The Film industry is now wary of making flicks around protagonists from the community;
    Singh is King 2 Plans Dropped.

The double-trouble that came Bollywood's way after Sikh organisations objected to the Sikh hero Akshay Kumar and Saif Ali Khan's beard lengths in Singh Is Kinng and Love Aaj Kal respectively, has made the industry wary of walking the way of Sikh-centric protagonists.

Sensing trouble, the makers of the next Hindi film with a Sikh protagonist Shimit Amin's Rocket Singh Sales-man Of The Year are playing it safe. In Amin's film, Ranbir Kapoor stars as a young Sikh having a bad day at work.

Says source, "From the start the producers Yashraj Films, the director and specially Ranbir were very cautious about getting it right. Ranbir consulted his Sikh friends and in fact, had a Sikh coach to get the physical and verbal details of his character right."

Much care has been taken over the length of Ranbir's beard and hair. But now after seeing the manner in which Akshay and Saif were reprimanded, Ranbir and his team are being doubly cautious. Apparently, Rocket Singh will be shown to Sikh heads of the state, their opinions reverently taken and implemented before the film is released.

The Hurt Remained

Says Imtiaz Ali, the director of Love Aaj Kal, "I had a very close friend in school in Jamshedpur who'd to always wonder why Hindi films couldn't have Sikh heroes. That hurt of his remained in my heart."

Imtiaz admits the process of making a film wth a Sikh hero has been difficult. The latest on this sensitive subject is that producer Vipul Shah has for now dropped plans of a sequel to the very successful Singh Is Kinng. Says Akshay Kumar cautiously, "Right now, my plate is very full. Let me first finish what I have on hand. Then we'll see."

A far cry from the earlier gusto with which the idea of a Singh Is Kinng sequel was welcomed, no?

Not the First Time...

Most films with their main characters as Sardars have had to face problems with Sikh organisations. Singh Is Kinng and more recently, Love Aaj Kal held special screenings of their films for the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and the Punjabi Cultural and Heritage Board respectively. Only after they okayed the film, could the release take place without further hassles.

thanks dear