Results 1 to 1 of 1
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM #1
Sanjay Dutt to file review petition today
A day after being sentenced to five years in jail in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts, actor Sanjay Dutt has decided to file a review petition on Friday, according to reports.
The son of famous Bollywood couple late Sunil Dutt and Nargis Dutt who has already been in jail for 18 months, has to surrender within four weeks to undergo the remaining three-and-half years prison term.
The 53-year-old actor, who confined himself to his posh home in Bandra, Mumbai on Thursday, said in a statement that he was "shattered and in emotional distress" as he had suffered for 20 years.
"I am heartbroken because today along with me, my three children and my wife and my family will undergo the punishment," he said in a statement.
His lawyer Satish Maneshinde had earlier told reporters that the length of sentence had come as a shock to Sanjay Dutt who has continued to make a long list of films despite the legal action against him.
"We will wait for a copy of the Supreme Court judgment and then decide the further course of action. He is a strong man and will fight back," he had said.
Besides filing a review petition, Sanjay Dutt can also appeal to the Governor of Maharashtra, who can intervene and pardon his sentence.
Press Council of India Chief Justice Markandey Katju also appealed to Maharashtra Governor K Sankarnarayanan to pardon the actor.
In his statement, Justice Katju sought pardon for Sanjay Dutt under Article 161 of the Constitution saying that he had not been found guilty of having played a role in the 1993 blasts and had suffered a lot.