Kal Ho Na Ho
    India & Cambodia

Default Mahie-Kay Kay to work together again!

Follow us on Social Media

Kolkata is fast turning into a favourite haunt for

And the latest to join this brigade is Ribhu Dasgupta, son of film-maker Raja Dasgupta. Incidentally, Ribhu’s brother Birsa Dasgupta is also a budding director, ready to make a mark in the film industry with 033.

The film, which will mark Ribhu’s directorial debut in Hindi, is titled Michael and is supposed to be shot for 35 days at a stretch in Kolkata. Speaking about the project Ribhu says, “It’s a poignant father-son story. I had come up with the idea some time back. My friend, Debaloy Bhattacharya, has done the screenplay and has been an integral part of the scripting process with me.

He is a great writer and is just finishing work on a film he has written and directed. The film’s dialogues are by another friend of mine, Neel Guha. All three of us have been scripting the film together for quite some time now.”

Having hung around the sets of his father’s projects, it was natural for Ribhu to be bitten by the film bug. “I think I always wanted to become a director. But only when I came to Mumbai and started living with my brother was I totally sure about my decision. The world of film-making was a lot more enticing when I saw it in these quarters,” the fresher explains his foray into this world.

But it sure comes as a surprise that with roots so deep in Kolkata, Ribhu should decide to debut with a Hindi film as opposed to a Bengali venture. “It wasn’t a conscious decision,” is how he looks at it and adds, “It was a natural outcome of the time and sweat spent in this creative process in Mumbai.”

And it is in Mumbai that he had the opportunity to get associated with Anurag Kashyap, who incidentally is the creative producer of the project. Ribhu reveals that Birsa, who was working with Anurag, got him introduced to the film-maker during the Black Friday days.

“Later, I had the opportunity to work with him on Gulaal. Anurag is amongst the very few people who will back a project after seeing the content and not anything else. He liked the story and screenplay and decided to back the project,” Ribhu justifies Anurag’s association with the film.

The film, which, “couldn’t have been placed anywhere else but in Kolkata”, will be having an ensemble cast of KayKay Menon and Mahie Gill. “KayKay Menon plays the lead while Mahie is the female lead,” confirms Ribhu, adding, “The rest of the cast is not yet finalised.”

Arindam Sil, the executive producer of the project, says, “Talks are on to rope in Mithun Chakraborty. Sarika has already given her nod.”
    KayKay, on his part, confirms that he has been approached for the project. “But the dates are being worked out,” the actors says.
    The unit will be coming to the city for a recce sometime in early August.

“The shooting is supposed to commence from the first week of October,” says Sil, whose production house is also involved in line production and casting. “KayKay is an old friend and so is Ribhu. I wanted to be part of a project which can put Kolkata on the national map,” he adds. Amen to that.