Runner Up - Admins Awards www.desirulez.net

Default Women should stop feeling guilty, urges Nandita Das

Follow us on Social Media

Acclaimed actress Nandita Das wants women to stop feeling guilty if they are unable to give their best in a job. She says women need to feel "no pressure to prove" anything to the world.
    She salutes the women who "crossed the threshold" and took a "step towards freedom and, in the process, opened doors for other women", and is proud how she was always treated like a son.
    On International Women's Day, Nandita shares her views:
    "Yet another Woman's Day! No, can't afford to be cynical. I have consciously made sure that cynicism doesn't seep into my life and have striven to be an eternal optimist. And there are indeed good reasons to be. If I take my own life, I grew up in a family where I suffered absolutely no discrimination and, in fact, being the elder of the siblings, was the 'son' of the family.
    Right from my childhood, I had the freedom to make my own choices - in the subjects I took in school, the work that I pursued, the person I fell in love with ... and all other decisions I have taken in my life. Slowly I became aware that this was not the norm and how fortunate I was to have the space to just 'be'. But both in my human rights work and films, I have met innumerable women who are constantly negotiating through their circumstances to find that little space where they can make their own choices.
    ...being a human...