Banned www.desirulez.net

Default Mast Kalandar's not on an item song: Bejoy

Follow us on Social Media

Known to step away from the crowd, Bejoy Nambiar is one director who chooses to do films his way. And no, he does not subscribe to norms which are common to Bollywood.

After the success of his critically acclaimed film Shaitan, Nambiar is ready for his second release David which is a bi lingual that has been shot in Hindi and Tamil. With a myriad of actors from varied backgrounds, Bejoy also gives great importance to music in his film. "I let the music direct the script and use songs as part of the narrative", says Bejoy.

For David, the director has used the popular qawwali Dama Dam Mast Kalandar but this time, it will be a Rekha Bhardwaj rendition. As songs are the initial face of a film, especially 'item songs', Nambiar decries the whole concept. "I don't subscribe to item songs. I know that gets the eyeballs and I understand the logic but I don't see myself putting item numbers in my films. People kept calling Damadam Mast Kalandar an item song and I told them it was not. But fair enough, if you have to call it one then that's my take on an item".

"It's Sarika's qawwali. She had refused to be a part of my earlier film when I had approached her. But for Dama Dam Mast Kalandar, she readily agreed", adds the director.

Although the song has been creating a lot of controversy for hurting the religious sentiments of the Sindhi community, Nambiar will continue to feature the song in his film.