Banned www.desirulez.net

Default Shabana & Javed to attend Prasoon’s book launch!

Follow us on Social Media

Renowned lyricist Prasoon Joshi who has changed the way people perceive lyrics, is set to launch his book: Sunshine Lanes at the Jaipur Literature Festival today. In conversation with the prolific and award winning writer/poet.

What compelled you to launch Sunshine Lanes?
    A lot of times people perform to my songs and they forget the lyrics. They forget lines and names which changes the whole meaning of the song. They get lost in the music but forget to realize its intricate poetry that I have written.

What can we expect from your book?
    I have selected 50 film and album songs with a one page write up on the thought behind them and many anecdotes. For example, I have selected songs from Bhupen Hazarika's last album Kyun which people are not even aware of. I have also included translations so people can understand the poetry in my lyrics. There is a lot of poetry in my work and when the book is released, people will realize what they have missed. Such kind of work is getting lost.

Are all the song lyrics in the book popular?
    Not all. I have included works from films like Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Dilli 6 and then some not so popular songs from films like Phir Milenge and Chittagong. I was very proud of the work I did in Phir Milenge and Chittagong. For Chittagong in fact I did not charge a penny. I loved the script and director but unfortunately it being a small film did not fare too well. But Chittagong is one of my best works.

To constantly evolve as a writer and lyricist must be challenging in an industry like Bollywood...
    Yes it is. It's very important to understand that in a challenging industry such as Bollywood, a voice like me exists. Lyrics have to have a flow and one line should follow the other. Every film is a journey for me.

What inspires you to write so beautifully?
    I seek inspiration from everyday life and what's happening around me. I like to introspect. For example, in Taare Zameen Par, I imagined my self as a child when my mother had left me for a while. I had fear of darkness and many people connected to that. I have a two and a half year old daughter so I watch her and write.

Will your friends from the industry be attending the event?
    Not really. There will mostly be writers. But Shabana Azmi and Javed saab will be there to support me.