Banned www.desirulez.net

Default Theatre Review: The Diary Of A Word

Follow us on Social Media

Play : The Diary Of A Word or How I Proposed to My Second Husband On The 321st Floor

Directed by : Ramu Ramanathan

Cast : Zafar Karachiwala, Ahlam Khan-Karachiwala

Language : English

Duration : 80 minutes

Rating : 3

Are you a logophile? If you are, then you would probably already know the meaning of this word. And if you aren't, well, it means a person who loves words or is a word buff. So if you're an avid play watcher and your interest lies in languages, wordplay and exploring the world of linguistics, this is a play you wouldn't want to miss out on. It's a piece that combines love for theatre and wordplay rather interestingly !

You may be wondering why playwright and director Ramu Ramanathan's The Diary Of A Word or How I Proposed to My Second Husband On The 321st Floor has two titles. Perhaps the makers believe you'll choose the title of the play, depending on the way you perceive the play or the meaning you derive from its story. And its story will boggle you. Never mind the characters or dialogues or the sets by a large margin, the hero here is the plot.

India is a culturally-rich land with many languages and dialects. And that's highlighted in the play. Right from the origin of languages to their sudden, unsuspecting disappearance, facts and fictional tales have been fascinatingly merged and woven into the narrative. It's a bizarre, implausible but smart way of showing the slow death of linguistics in society (according to a recent magazine article, one language dies every 14 days!). While that sounds morbid, thankfully, there's enough wordplay that will keep you entertained throughout the 80 minutes.

The other way to look at this play is to view it as an engaging love story between two awkward, bumbling, ageing people (Zafar and Ahlam Karachiwala), who slowly fall for each other, while they are trying to figure out a solution to solve the problem of disappearing words and the garbling of languages. The off-screen chemistry of this real time husband-wife duo has been aptly translated on stage.

Of course, if you're looking for obvious laughs or funny dialogues typically associated with wittily written dramas, you're not going to get them in The Diary Of A Word. But if you go with an open mind, you won't be disappointed.

Super Moderators www.desirulez.net

Thanks for sharing
    Do you know Richard Cheese?