Banned www.desirulez.net

Default Civilisation is paying a price for the scale of inequality: Lushin

Follow us on Social Media

Says theatre artiste Lushin Dubey whose play Salaam India will be staged as part of the Times Pune Festival today

Lushin Dubey's Salaam India inspired by Pavan Varma's bestseller Being Indian explores the contradictions, joy, humour, hope and aspirations that drive us today. To be staged at Alpa Bachat Bhavan today, the play is by invitation only. Here, Lushin speaks about its relevance in today's India, her memories of Pune and how the city holds a special place in her heart.

Your play explores the hope and aspiration that drive Indians. Have emotions or prerogatives changed for today's India?
    Everyday there is a change. The play reflects the psyche of every Indian. Through the four stories, there is interweaving of interesting facets. What I have done is to reflect how we have hung on to our resilience and hope as people. It reflects the humour and absurdities in the way we deal with things. I will introduce the current outrage in the nation in the play and add an expression to reflect what is happening around us.

What do you feel about being associated with the Times Pune Festival?
    The audience here is sensitive and intelligent. The city holds a very special place in my heart. I studied at St Mary's School and had my first crush in this city.

In the wake of the issue of safety of women and the need for a stronger implementation of law, do you feel theatre as a medium can help bring about change?
    I am outraged with what happened in Delhi. The rapists should be treated the way they treated the victim. We need to ask ourselves serious questions. We need to teach our sons to respect women. Half the population lives in the medieval age. There is clearly a division between Bharat and India. There is a scale of inequality. And civilisation is paying a price. I want to work on a sequel to Salaam India with the same actors. It will be a gender biased play where characters will swap their DNA. I also want to work on Pinky Virani's book on Aruna Shanbaug. I know Pinky has sold the rights, but I am looking at it. I would love to present it theatrically or cinematically.

Super Moderators www.desirulez.net

thanks 4 sharing
    Do you know Richard Cheese?