Moderator www.desirulez.net

Default Pujara happy to play his role for India

Follow us on Social Media

Cheteshwar Pujara's double century against England on Friday meant far more to him after he came close to the milestone three months ago.

Pujara helped India to 521 declared in Ahmedabad with his unbeaten 206, three months after his maiden Test century (159) against New Zealand.

"Last time I missed (it) against New Zealand and I wanted to score a double-hundred," Pujara told Sky Sports.

"This was the perfect conditions for me and we needed a big total on the board so I hung around and played a proper role.

"There's always a price on my wicket - even when I've scored a double-hundred I never want to give it away."

England then lost three wickets to close the day two at 41-3 after nightwatchman James Anderson fell late on.

England spinner Samit Patel, who took 1-96, backed his side to recover on day three with Alastair Cook (22) and Kevin Pietersen (six) still at the crease.

"We've got two world-class batsmen at the crease, Belly (Ian Bell) still to come, myself and Matty (Prior) - a lot of batting," Patel said.

"There's no question about how long we can bat. We've got the same potential of batting as India have - and we've got to keep believing that."

Patel admitted England had a long road ahead of them but expected the match to swing when spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Pragyan Ojha were introduced with the old ball.

"The ball's harder, and I think it spins more when the ball's harder," he said.

"The telling time will be when the ball gets soft; then we can get in.

"You have to earn the right to get in first, and I think Cookie (Alastair Cook) and Kev (Kevin Pietersen) in the morning have got to set their stall out and bat well.

"We've put in the hard yards; we know what we can do ... we're good players of spin. Tomorrow, we hope we can show what we're made out of."

"We're going to have to play some good cricket, it's hard work - but that's Test cricket.

"We have to front up - we can't go anywhere. We've got to stand up and be counted. It's no place for hiding."