Moderator www.desirulez.net

Default Patience key in Gayle´s knock

Follow us on Social Media

West Indies batsman Chris Gayle said patience played a big part in his innings against Australia at the ICC World Twenty20 on Friday.

Gayle hit five fours and six sixes in his unbeaten 75 off 41 deliveries, as the West Indies posted a huge total of 205-4 from their 20 overs in the semi-final.

Australia were skittled for just 131 in response – despite a valiant 63 from captain George Bailey – as Gayle's man-of-the-match performance booked his side a spot in Sunday's final against Sri Lanka in Colombo.

He may have found the boundary on 11 occasions with the bat, but it was not all big-hitting from the West Indies opener who underlined the importance of building his innings gradually.

"It was actually a slow track so the key was for me to be there until the end, that was very important," Gayle said.

"It allowed the rest of the guys to come in and play around me. It was a slow start and I didn't get much of the strike in the first six overs but what was important was me not to panic and to focus on scoring.

"They started really well, (Mitchell) Starc bowled well for them and (Shane) Watson was the pick of the bowlers and did not let us in early on.

"I had to stick to the task so the other guys could play around me and Marlon Samuels came in and hit a few boundaries which took the pressure off me a bit and then the partnership with (Dwayne) Bravo helped a lot in the end and got that total to 200.

"All in all the key was to be there until the end and we were able to pick up some good runs today, it was a good batting display."